Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Connection from mainline to leader
April 24, 2011, 09:42:34 PM
I use the bimini to twisted leader 100 and 150lb shogun, notice that lots of people use the fg knot and was wondering what are the advantages of the friction knots over the bimini twisted leader connection?  or is it just personal preference?
Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:44:17 PM by Mick Rowley

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 24, 2011, 11:10:14 PM
Mick, most folks who use an FG or other friction knot such as PR Knot or Mid-Knot are doing so to connect to a single strand leader, not a twistie. It makes most sense with such a set up as the knot has such a low profile you can cast very efficiently with leader still on the spool.

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 24, 2011, 11:40:39 PM
Mark, i make my twisted leaders approximately a rod length and a bit so that when i cast they arent on the spool and find they shoot out the guides really well without incident provided the legs on the bimini are really short so that they cant open up and wrap around the stripper guide, how long do you make your leaders? i guess longer than mine and is there any advantage with a longer leader other than getting it to hand that bit quicker? Are you using friction knot/single strand mono leader for better wear purposes or do you guys just find that it cast better than the twisties? What size mono are most guys using with friction knots?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:02:39 AM
Mick for PE8 or PE10 line I personally use single strand mono leader between 170 and 220 lbs. Length-wise it is about two turns on the spool with about 1 metre still out of the guides.

I suppose one advantage of a longer leader of that nature is more protection against tail cuts and other abrasion.  Like most things in GT fishing though it is a compromise and there is no absolutely right way or wrong way to set up.  Much comes down to personal preferences.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 09:24:25 AM
I use the bimini to twisted leader 100 and 150lb shogun, notice that lots of people use the fg knot and was wondering what are the advantages of the friction knots over the bimini twisted leader connection?  or is it just personal preference?

Mick,

I still love my twisted leaders for popping but I have taken the time to learn the FG also.

When using stickbaits the FG would definetly be my preference for visibility of the leader in the water.

Pete

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:07:31 PM
Only 1 vote for the poor old Mid Knot.  Was that you Brandon ? :)

I know some folks who contend that the Mid Knot is the best of all friction knots.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:16:46 PM
That might of been from a nostalgic Luke  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:28:10 PM
Only 1 vote for the poor old Mid Knot.  Was that you Brandon ? :)

I know some folks who contend that the Mid Knot is the best of all friction knots.

Mark ,

It was I !

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:29:06 PM
Excellent Jon :). A nostalgic choice as Greg said!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 12:33:27 PM
Excellent Jon :). A nostalgic choice as Greg said!

Hi Mark ,

As they say , " it's difficult to teach new tricks o this old dog "  ;D . I m still happy with MidKnot .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 25, 2011, 01:45:02 PM
FG for me. KISS!

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 08:18:41 PM
Peter,
yes, friction knot/single strand mono definately sounds like a good idea for stickbaits, can see why you would use fg knot for this purpose. How long do you make your leader and what diameter/strength mono do you use for stickbaiting?
Mick.