Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hots GT77xxxh vs RF78xh
April 25, 2011, 05:53:13 PM

Funny, last time I was in NC the water under the boat where I was popping was 120m deep!  ;D This is contrary to what the LPB boys think, and its interesting because Konishi-san went there with great results. I wonder if it has changed their thinking.

I was thinking the same Kasey but obviously he thinks differently. It is from where fish are so cautious in tough condition in Japan and we are still in fortunate situation where fish are attacking poppers aggressively whether it is shallow or deep, let's put it that way.

Cheers,
Tak

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 08:12:52 PM
I was quite surprised when Kenji expressed the viewed that he found stickbaits worked better in deep water. We've generally used big poppers exclusively in deep water but since our trip in October, I have to admit that big stickbaits do work well in deep water. I'm not not sure why.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 08:26:57 PM
Guys,
this may seem like a stupid question but at roughly what depth of water do you refer to as deep? is it as simple as anywhere you can see the bottom as shallow and where you cant as deep?
Mick.

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 10:08:20 PM
Hi Mick,

I tend to refer where I can see reefs and bommies as shallow and anything deeper as deep.

Cheers,
Tak

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 10:47:09 PM
Over maybe 30m of water...

The logic was that in deep water the fish might be hanging out deep and only with a big chugger and a loud sound would they be drawn or attracted to the surface to notice the commotion and hence bite.

With a stickbait, it is comparatively silent, so unless the GT is actively hunting at the top 20-30m and looking up, in deep water, why would they be more attracted?

Maybe something you could ask Tak.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 11:19:37 PM
Logically, I would fully concur with Kasey.  It is hard to see why a stickbait would raise a fish from the deep........

My experience is that in locations that have been popped to death over a long period, then big GTs will studiously ignore chuggers but be tempted by surface stickbaits. Bali is a very good example where he majority of fish in recent times over 15 kgs have been on surface sticks, but the smaller ones continue to smash poppers.   
Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:19:08 AM by Mark Harris

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2011, 11:27:56 PM
Guy's
having never really used stickbaits that much but knowing that i should, if in deep water what sort of sinking stickbaits are you using? i'm guessing there going to be fairly large and how far do you let them sink before starting your retrieve?
Mick

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 12:11:31 AM
The most famous sinking stick bait of all is the Orion Bigfoot. The heaviest model, the 230 sinks fast. Over deep reefs or sea mounts, you can let these sink for quite a long time. Just don't let it get stuck on the bottom!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 12:16:09 AM
Bigfoots sure sink fast and are an excellent lure.  Idiot here has snagged one on the bottom  :-[.

I like the Heru Bobaras as well, and at the light end the ultra realistic sinking Shimano Ocea Pencils can be very effective when all else fails.

Gavin Swab

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 01:42:30 AM
Just wondering how many days per year do you guys fish?  Seems to be a lot of talk here?  I know have probably upset a few guys here in the last sentence , but I genuinely want to know......   Mark And Jay I have noticed
spend a lot of time here, and seem to know there stuff, So I presume they have spent the time on the water. I dont doubt that Luke and Brandon do also, I have racked up well over 350 hrs in a bit over 2 years  .  I work in the mines and work an even time roster, so I am out chasin GT alot. I have alot of success and alot of monster failures ( Shoalwater  GT )  damn it !    So please let me know every ones thoughts.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 02:08:33 AM
Well, a "lot of talk" is precisely what a forum is designed to encourage.  There are some extraordinarily knowledgeable people here from whom I have learned an awful lot.

You mean GT fishing or all fishing?

It's a bit variable, but if I look at the past 12 months I have been out seriously popping and jigging for about 51 days.  Lots of day trips there plus some longer liveaboards. No idea how many hours that equates to as I can think of a few liveaboard days when I probably fished 18-20 hours.
Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:25:33 AM by Mark Harris

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 26, 2011, 06:14:07 AM
Gavin you probably fish more often than me mate  :-[ these days I seem to spend too much time filling orders for other lucky buggers

BUT, I'm off for a week to a remote location today so "suffer in ya' jocks"  :P

In regards to popper vs stickbait......who knows??, trends shift all the time, so do fish moods!!. I guess if they are educated fish you need to try everything sometimes. Like some days I like chicken and some days I like steak  ;D
Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:21:00 AM by Chris Young

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 09:56:19 AM
Sinking stickbaits may be effective in deep water, but it's hard to beat the adrenaline rush from a surface bite on a large popper by a donkey gt!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 08:57:45 PM
Gavin, you sentence of "seems to be a lot of talk here" is unnecessarily brusque. If there is a need to questions someone's credentials, then Luke and I will do that in the background as we have done previously. What you've done is likely to scare the hell out of any new member from posting.

Just wondering how many days per year do you guys fish?  Seems to be a lot of talk here?  I know have probably upset a few guys here in the last sentence , but I genuinely want to know......   Mark And Jay I have noticed
spend a lot of time here, and seem to know there stuff, So I presume they have spent the time on the water. I dont doubt that Luke and Brandon do also, I have racked up well over 350 hrs in a bit over 2 years  .  I work in the mines and work an even time roster, so I am out chasin GT alot. I have alot of success and alot of monster failures ( Shoalwater  GT )  damn it !    So please let me know every ones thoughts.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 26, 2011, 09:41:03 PM
Hi Christoffer

If you looking for an RF 78XH, I have a brand new custom Metallic Blue, never been cast or fished, which I am really needing to get rid of cause I need the cash... I dropped you a PM...

Cheers
Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...