Ben Earl

Refurbishing your lures
July 20, 2010, 02:44:46 PM
Does anyone repair or refurbish their lures? How do you do it?

My gear gets a fair flogging by customers and also myself fishing at least twice a week lately. The finish on most of the lures gets destroyed pretty quickly (particularly as there is a lot of barracuda, reef sharks, red bass and large long toms here too) and I want to repair them as best i can to keep them attracting fish at their best and also keeping the water out etc.

Am I just cheap? or do others do this as well?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Refurbishing your lures
July 20, 2010, 03:05:49 PM
Hi Ben ,

Epoxy based putty to seal those areas already showing the substrate thus preventing water intrusion  .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 20, 2010, 04:45:04 PM
Mate I don't think that is 'cheap' at all.

None of these big poppers are cheap and when they are regularly being attached by toothy critters, getting bashed in to rocks and coral (ok maybe that is just my casting ability  ::)) they can get beat up pretty bad.

I know of a number of people that do repairs on the lures to get the most out of them. When you see what state a lure can be in and still catch fish, there is no reason not to get an extra few trips out of a beat up favourite lure if you can by using a bit of putty or epoxy or whatever.

I have found that mine tend to get stolen before they reach the state of needing repair because once I find one that catches fish and I like using, I tend to stick with it until it gets busted off, but half your luck if you have some of sufficient vintage to warrant repairs!  :D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2010, 04:45:50 PM
I have found Selleys Knead It Multipurpose putty to be an especially good filler/sealer for the purpose Jon describes above. I usually coat it with a light marine varnish once it is dry.

I think Selleys is an Australian product (?), so it should be easy to source for most of you guys.
Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:04:25 PM by Mark Harris

Ben Earl

July 29, 2010, 10:00:15 AM
I have found that mine tend to get stolen before they reach the state of needing repair because once I find one that catches fish and I like using, I tend to stick with it until it gets busted off, but half your luck if you have some of sufficient vintage to warrant repairs!  :D
I'm with you on that for sure! All of the legend lures are now no doubt floating somewhere between here and Mexico!

The two things that I am mostly concerned with are restoring or patching the finish on my molded lures and keeping the water out of my wooden ones.
I find that my Fisherman lures are quite soft and a decent sized fish will penetrate well into the wood and once they get waterlogged they get heavy and the way they sit in the water changes.
I also use a lot of Japanese molded lures (generally gifts or samples - the brand names I cant remember), these lures work very well generally and dont take on water BUT their finish almost always comes off either in scratches or chips once a few bite marks converge. I have found that when the paint is really bad (ie showing a lot of white) the fish often decide at the last moment not to attack, hence this topic.
I was thinking of trying some glittery nail polish  :-[ to seal individual tooth holes (and maybe add some flashes), has anyone tried that?
For the bigger jobs I will try out the epoxy and see how it goes...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 29, 2010, 10:01:55 AM
Suggest you start adding Orion lures to your arsenal - near indestructible! The finish will eventually scratch off but there really isn't a lure on the market that wont.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 29, 2010, 10:51:59 AM
Who wants them repaired..!!

They look great all chewed up and smashed to bits..!!!!!

That means they have done their job.....I have just retired a few myself.

Pete

Ben Earl

July 30, 2010, 10:19:19 AM
Who wants them repaired..!!

They look great all chewed up and smashed to bits..!!!!!

That means they have done their job.....I have just retired a few myself.

Pete
Yeah its nice to retire them but I have a wall full already  ;D. And its a commercial decision, my lure bill atm is over $500 a month  :'(

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 30, 2010, 11:00:45 AM
Yeah $500 a month can get a bit worrying.. ???

Pete

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2010, 11:18:57 AM
A friend resprayed one of mine up so nice that now I dont want even use it....

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 10:46:33 AM
sorry to dig this one guys, but what have you guys been using as a "periodical" touch up for hook rash? is there a spray such as some sort of finish that we can spray on the keep the finish nice and thick?

Cheers

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 11:49:59 AM
How did that other rash you had finish up Gav...?

Did the Sea Frog arrive all ok mate..??

Pete
Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:53:27 AM by Peter Morris

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 12:15:30 PM
Hey Pete, sorry what do you mean other rash? from getting attacked by ticks?

Sea frog arrived all good mate, cheers for that, might get a bit of aryldite over that cracked eye, first sea frog of my collection! cheers!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 28, 2011, 05:47:14 PM
For hook rash and such, I just use a bit of Sally Hansens "Hard as Nails" which I use on all my epoxy flies as well when they get chewed up, as well as using it as head cement for non epoxy body flies...

On more dmaged lures, one needs more of an epoxy filler as Jon suggested...

Alternatively if you want a full lure refurb, drop Crusty ( Chris Young ) from Fullscale a message... I know he's pretty busy making Kong and Sidewinders at the moment, but I know he has refurbed lures in the past for folks, and if you've seen his work on the fullscales, you'll know that you'll get your lures back in better condition than when they were new, and probably tougher too...

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...