mark kyriacou

Re: Hallaniyat Islands Southern Oman
May 03, 2011, 05:42:38 PM
looks like an awsome trip mate those dorado on the plastics and light gear and so close to the  shore line would be awsome and great photos

Raymond Yong

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 04, 2011, 10:05:30 AM
Crongrats to Nick and crew on a great trip, BTW happy B-day Nick ;)

Ray

Philip Dee

May 04, 2011, 03:06:35 PM
Hey Nick,

Sweet trip report and great pic's. Think i'm going to have to put in a request to the minister for finance and leave passes!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 05, 2011, 01:13:18 PM
Hi Mark, It was awesome to catch the big GTs, but those dorado caused just as much excitement on the boat when they showed up! We were fishing in about 5m of water. It was incredible to see the colours in the water.

Hi Raymond, Many thanks for the wishes.

Hi Philip, I still have to ask the minister when I'm taking a trip, even when I say that it is part of my job it is still a tough ask!! Good luck!

Cheers,
Nick

Cenovito Zamudio

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2011, 08:25:43 PM
some great photos there what lens are you using??

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 05, 2011, 11:42:09 PM
Hi Cenovito, I'm using a 10-20mm Sigma lens on a Canon 50D Camera. Awesome outfit, just a bit of a mission keeping it dry on the boat.

Cheers,
Nick

Dave Hudson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2011, 07:06:21 PM
Hey Nick,
I've been looking at a lightweight housing for when I get my new camera.
Think it would ease the stress of expensive camera in small open boat.
This one http://www.aquatech.net/DC-5V2-Canon-5D-MarkII.php  seems to get good reviews
I think they do one for the 50D.

Dave

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 06, 2011, 09:10:42 PM
Hi Dave, That looks like the business!! I stress every trip, I put my camera into the soft case you get when you buy it and then put it into a 5L fold down dry bag. But the problem is you have to take it in and out of the bag with normally wet and slimy hands so I have had a few close calls. I'm definately going to look into this. Many thanks!!

Cheers,
Nick

Cenovito Zamudio

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2011, 11:29:27 PM
cheers for the reply nick, alot of the shots look like you are shooting at 10mm, do you get much of a bend with your 50d with that lens?

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2011, 01:22:22 AM
Hi Cenovito, I use to use a fish eye and had terrible bend as you would expect on most pictures. I find when shooting at 10mm the results are good, I don;t get much bend but you find that peoples heads and bodies get distorted sometimes. I also find that the actual image that is shot is wider than the frame on the lens/camera so it gets a bit difficult to frame things properly. I tend to shoot a lot on sports setting to get as many shots as possible. I find that I get about 1 in 5 that are good. But I'm still learning a lot with the camera but loving the results so far. Open to any suggestions!

Cheers,
Nick

Mads Soendergaard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 07, 2011, 07:07:04 PM
Hi Nick

Great fishing from southern Oman, you have some nice fish there  :)

What line rating would you recommend for southern oman, would 100-130lb braid with 200-240lb leader do the job?

From your tackle list I can see that you use large lures, does larger lures trigger more hits?

/Mads

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2011, 01:24:07 AM
Hi Mads,

I normally use 130lbs Tufline XP Braid, I find that with the high salinity and heat in this part of the world it works well. Other braids that work well are Verivas and Jerry Brown. Leaders we use 300lbs mono. I use a short leader that I cast outside the rod eyes. Then for lures I would suggest the bigger the better, the smallest I throw is 170gr if the body is tired but try to use 190gr+. But also this is determined by the guys you fishing with, if someone is throwing big lures you are not going to have much chance on a smaller lure (generally speaking) but if everyone is throwing 120gr then you will get hits, all relative.

The biggest problem we are having is that because most of the fish are so big that they are biting down on the lures and swimming with them in their mouths but not getting hooked, no matter how hard we hit the fish, so the bigger the hook the better. I suggest 10\0 Decoys if you can find them. We have broken a few as they are brittle but I think you also get a better hook up rate. Maybe even try the Nomad style and use 10 or 11/0 Jobus??

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick

mark kyriacou

May 10, 2011, 05:20:26 PM
hey mate just wondering if you have seen my PM i sent u

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 11, 2011, 08:28:42 PM
Hi Mark, Sorry for the delay, I sent you an answer this morning. I was up in the Musandam for the last couple of days.

Cheers,
Nick

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
May 11, 2011, 10:56:00 PM
Nick - ANother great Camera protection option, and alot cheaper is the "Bags" from EWA Marine
http://www.ewa-marine.com/index.php?id=49

We use them when doing shoots involving water/running in the surf / under waterfalls etc, and they are great cause they are light and easy to use... Probably not as robust as the Aquatech, but a fraction of the price, and for on the boat/flats work, perfect tools.

Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...