Brett Carter

Re: Leader sizing for GT's
November 28, 2007, 07:30:03 PM
Thanks for all the info guys ;)

I've been practicing my twisted leaders using 100lb penn 10x... this the best i can do so far, does it look ok to everyone? The whole popper fishing thing is new to me but i can see myself getting right into it now!

Also would it be ok to use the Australian made 150lb platypus leader for twisted leaders? I only ask cause i have a whole heap of it sitting around, I've used it heaps for jigging with no probs but might be crap for twistys ???

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 28, 2007, 09:34:26 PM
G'Day Brett
Your twisties look fine to me mate , I found 10x particularly hard to do twisties ,prob because of tensile strength etc, do mine with black magic (only because it's easier), the main thing is to get consistant twist throughout the length of the leader without forcing the line , I also crimp 400lb swivel to each leader so their ready to go

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 29, 2007, 07:32:46 AM
Brett, like you I'm learning but your finish looks much better than my first attempts nine months ago, got the bug to ah.
The Platypus [Monoflex] 150lb leader is slightly thicker [1.2mm compared to 1mm] but more supple than 10x and makes a good leader IMO. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brett Carter

November 29, 2007, 05:52:24 PM
Thanks Chris & Greg, it's good to know i'm heading in the right direction with all of it! Greg... I've defiantly got the bug! I'm already planning my next trip and haven't even been on my up coming trip yet ;D
Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:46:15 PM by Brett Carter

Aaron Concord

November 29, 2007, 09:02:26 PM
Brett,

They look great mate....twists are equal spacing and there appears to be a nice even twist, without one strand twisting more around the other.
If you start with a double section of 3 m of leader and when fisnished, the tags are equal or pretty close, you have done it well....
Jinkai/Shogun/Blackmagic....heck, 10x and fluorocarbon are the hardest to get uniform twists that are also tight....everything else is easy!!

Cheers

Aaron.

Tim Mitsopoulos

December 07, 2007, 06:20:09 PM
Guys , how does the uni to uni compare to the midnot for single leader to the main line and for casting with a wind on leader.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2007, 07:11:15 PM
Brett,

They look great mate....twists are equal spacing and there appears to be a nice even twist, without one strand twisting more around the other.
If you start with a double section of 3 m of leader and when fisnished, the tags are equal or pretty close, you have done it well....
Jinkai/Shogun/Blackmagic....heck, 10x and fluorocarbon are the hardest to get uniform twists that are also tight....everything else is easy!!

Cheers

Aaron.

In my opinion , any leader meant for trolling would be troublesome when used for casting , be it a twisty or a single leader system , the only time I use fluorocarbon leader is a hort " bite " leader with crimped ends .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 08, 2007, 01:53:52 PM
Guys , how does the uni to uni compare to the midnot for single leader to the main line and for casting with a wind on leader.

Two totally different knots. The midknot works more on clinching and biting into soft nylon leader and does take skill to tie. It is perhaps the most popular knot amongst Japanese GT fisherman. It flows smoothly through the guides but has been known to have shockload issues and other mysterious failures - but usually due to improper tying.

The double uni, due to it's bulk should never be cast through the guides because it can take out ring inserts. I have used this knot in the past with success however, Brandon's recent tests have shown that there are some concerns with it's shockload tolerance. Always tie this knot with a bimini.

Aaron Concord

December 10, 2007, 09:29:51 PM
Jon,
That's why I use Shogun, Momoi, or some type of Shock leader OVER fluorocarbon....the fluoro being less supply makes it hard to get even, small twists and this can cause casting stuff ups as well.
I'd rather use something that is supple, has ample abrassion resistance and use a wire bite leader just to be sure..

Aaron.

Brett Carter

December 20, 2007, 01:36:43 PM
Finally got the time to finish off all my twisted leaders for my trip, ended up making 20 leaders, 10 X 100lb using Penn 10x twisted to 200lb and 10 x 130lb Black Magic twisted to 260lb. Didn't relise how much time it would take to make them all but it's done now and i'm all sorted for my trip. Thanks to everyone that has helped me out with learning how to make the leaders, i really appreciate it. I leave for my trip on boxing day and should be back around the 20th so i'll post up some pics and a trip report in the expedition section when i get back.

Cheers,

Brett.

Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:39:23 PM by Brett Carter

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 20, 2007, 05:29:42 PM
Brett, the twisted leaders look great! The only question I have is whether you have shock loaded them. Have you given one of them a real going over to see how they stand up to a shock load? The look fine to me but I don't know how you have secured the wound back section because it is under the shrink tube.

It is always best to test them before going out to fish with them.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brett Carter

December 20, 2007, 06:19:38 PM
Hey Brandon, after i made each one i put a hook attached to the swivel and gave them all a good load up to test them out... Seemed all good and hopefully all will be ok when it comes time to actually hooking up to a big GT. Inder the heat shrink i finished them off with a series of 4 nail knots on each leader.
Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:21:18 PM by Brett Carter

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 20, 2007, 06:46:26 PM
Top job Brett they look sweet, have a great trip,look forward to some pic's and storys.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 20, 2007, 09:10:05 PM
Nice job on the leaders mate  ;). They say preperation is the key to success, looks like your gunna have a great trip , looking forward to a report when you get back (no pressure  ::)). May I suggest you look at the thread on Baker rigs to see the dif methods to hold them in place, could save you a couple of drama's with tangled hooks  ;D
Merry Chris mas

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 21, 2007, 07:33:50 AM
Hey Brandon, after i made each one i put a hook attached to the swivel and gave them all a good load up to test them out... Seemed all good and hopefully all will be ok when it comes time to actually hooking up to a big GT. Inder the heat shrink i finished them off with a series of 4 nail knots on each leader.

Brett - did you superglue the nail knots?
If it swims; I want to catch it!