Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey guys, just wanted to hear your thoughts on what would be the best way to condition for monster class fishing....from my expereince with fighting big fish...it seems the two most used and fatigued areas are the forearms and the lower back...

Just wondiering if anyone actually "trains" in the offseason or in the months leading up to a trip, and if so, what makes up your routine?

I have had a few ideas, basically consisting of high intensity cardio, and higher reps for muscle endurance and concentrate on back/forearms, such as deadlifts etc. I've also thought about hooking a broom stick up to the weight stack pulley at home and putting the broom in a fighting belt and lift..

Ive also considered strapping a rod or broom up to some weights, hold the stick out, and run up and down some rocks/stairs, to work on balance and footwork. This would be especially benifical for landbased anglers who would need to simulate hopping up and down the rocks while under a loaded rod.

Just want to see if any guys can suggest some exercices to add to the routine.

Cheers

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I usually do weights training for the forearm, biceps, triceps and shoulders with mainly dumbells. I also do good morning weight lifting exercises to strengthen the back. And several sets of push ups.

Some days I do alot of reps for stamina building while other days I concentrate on heavier weights for strength.

That's what I try to do and hope adrenaline can assist as well.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Every little bit of conditioning helps for sure.

I would almost repeat Chris's advice verbatim.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Gav,

Shoulder work,arm work, leg work are all beneficial and you will build strength and endurance.
Shoulder work in particular will help with casting long periods etc.

Deadlifts can be a very risky movement (easy to do an injury) if you havent got good back and core strength to start with.

I still train regularly but after many years I have backed off the amount of weight and focus a little more on endurance type work.
Weight training can take a real toll on your body particularly your joints.
I never had one single injury from weight training but suffer with lower back pain as its the general 'wear and tare' that lifting has on your body.
Squats and deadlifts are great for building strength but a killer for lower back and Knees so whatever you do lift a comfortable amount of weight and build slowly.

Core strength will make a big difference (to everything you do) and some of the more Yoga type exercises are very beneficial also.

Pete

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Gavin, after a lot of messing around with various training regimes and equipment for different sports in addition to jigging and popping, the simplest and best workout for 'core' and 'ballistic' strength (what we use when fishing).......... I reckon comes from the humble 'kettle bell'.

Get yourself one bell, commonly 16 kg if you are of moderate stature (12 kg if you are lightly built), a kettle bell video (DVD) and learn how to use it well.  The bell takes up no space in the house, uses no electricity and you can carry it around with you if you are travelling.

This is the best and most portable bit of workout kit you will ever come across, and gives the best fishing workout I can think of.  The de-stablising nature of the bell itself also hones grip strength whilst working on all of the key muscle groups.  You'll be surprised how many of the bell movements, excercise "fishing" muscles.  Combine it with a swiss ball when you develop some core strength and you have got it covered.

If I could only train with one piece of equipment....this would be it!

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
don't have an off season.move.....

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
LOL... yep no substitute for fishing regularly... that is the best possible conditioning.

I forgot to mention an adequate supply of cigarettes and beer of course  ;).

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
I try and work out for at least three weeks before a trip it really helps as one is able to fishlonger periods between rests. 

The body mainly the forearms, shoulders and lats takes big strain jigging, popping and fighting fish.

I have found using a dumbbell (held vertically) arm raises : from the side of the body to around ones head is a good allround exercise.   
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Sorry forgot to say - I do like the kettle ball exercise - I will be getting myself one.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Shaun Raymond

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Strong sholders for sure and core strength i would have to say are the two most importnt.... However the beer and the cigarettes are a close second. ;)

I just returned from five days of popper fishing and strenghth and endurance became the key to the most time with lures in the water

Stephen Callus

• Fusilier
  • plan a trip to stay a live
  • Liked:
plan a trip to stay a live

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
For lower back, you can try weighted roman chair back extensions rather than dead lifts. Doesnt do the whole core in the way that a dead lift does, but allows you to target the lower back without as much risk of injury.

I have been doing a lot of reverse dumbell flies and one arm rows, as I find that I get most sore in between my shoulder blades and below my delts. These are worth doing in my book. I also do quite a bit of (usually unintentional) shark battling, and these have definitely helped for the longer battles.

Dan

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
All of the above with 1 important extra, stretch!! Increasing your core strength and mobility will help with recovery if the unfortunate strain or pulled muscle happens. I am no pysiotharapist but from personal experience if you have lower back pain stretch the hell out of your legs and work on your core, it helped me heaps!
If your prepared, that sudden head shake or run may not hurt as much.

Al Morrison

As an old fart myself, I've been using a cross trainer the past 4 months in addition to weights for an upcoming LPB trip in Decemeber !! Its so good to see that i'm not the only one who takes the fitness seriously. I've not started increasing the beer intake yet, as i fear i may peak too soon. Core strength - simple exercizes (simple he says !!) such as "the Plank" will help. Stretches and shoulder/back exercizes will all no doubt help. Use technology too - a decent padded lower back supporting fighting belt works wonders - as i found out jigging for Sambos.

I know this next line may get some stick, but as a bunch of blokes its obvious when you look at fishing videos of people hooked up that once the adrenaline kicks in a lot of people throw good technique out of the window.  If you want to see how to fight a big fish watch a video of Marsha Bierman fighting 1000lb marlin with stand-up gear - its all in the pelvic thrust ! I think she stands about 5ft tall and weighs 50kgs when soaking wet. She uses pure technique (oh and a reversing boat !!). I know the gear is different, the fish different etc, but its her use of technique to counter her lack of strength which is worth seeing.

I've also found that despite weights, stretches and cardio - I went casting lures near the house for an hour and still ached in places i shouldnt have. Match fitness counts for the standard duties of getting the baits out - so a regular casting practise with the big gear is also now a part of my routine. So if anyone sees a nutter chucking hookless poppers into the Swan river .... it might be me !!

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
not just saying this for the sake of it and (with-out being rude at all or anything)

you are bang on there Al.  Another scenario - Dennis Braid which for those who do not know he is if you want my very honest opinion one of the best fisherman who does and fish's stand-up very, very, very well.  I can not remember the name of the dvd but in a dvd one monster tuna he gets and he land's it (boated) in less then 20 minutes,  it would take other's (including myself) far longer then that and again not to do with strength, I am not sure on weather or not it has something or anything to do at all with/with-out fitness or to do with conditioning as MAYBE IT DOES,  MAYBE IT DOES NOT,

I truly believe (as i am sure we all know) one thing that does count with-out a shadow of a doubt is = TECHNIQUE.

Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:50:14 PM by Sam Conacher