Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow.. that's good info Brandon and I must say I am totally surprised.  I had no idea the Saltiga 5000 held so much.  If it holds 230-240 metres of PE8 like a SOM 16000, that makes it a decent proposition for GT fishing.

The Daiwa spec sheet says you only get 300 metres of PE5!

Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:12:51 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Its very conservative - as I said, I have transferred two full spools of line from 16000s to the Daiwa 5000.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The Daiwa 5000 line cap. is surprising, I wonder if SOM will design a spool for it that will enhance capacity as it did for the Stella 10k? That type of reel set up would certainly become more attractive especially with the SOM drag system on a salti!!!

Mark, how snug is the fit from your LC handle to the CV??
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I was thinking of getting another SW10000 , but this revelation makes me think very seriously about a Saltiga 5000H instead which costs less than an SW10000 plus the compulsory after market spool.

If it already has that line cap Andy, I guess there far less need for a SOM after-market spool than there is a with a SW10000.

On the CV/GT82 fit..... pretty snug but not quite perfect. I need to wax the CV male ferrule.  So the female Ripple Fisher ferrule is very slightly too big. Not enough to worry about though and with a bit of wax it feels right.
Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:34:54 PM by Mark Harris

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Mark/Andy

Can you elaborate a little on the handle length issue on the CV? I've missed any info on this issue, and find it a bit concerning....

Can you let me know your thoughts.. too short, too long??? I was led to believe the rod is perfect... now a little concerned....

I've got pretty long arms ( ape man factor lives well and stong within the Dre! ), am I going to possibly have an issue with it?

Thanks
Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Please don't be put off Andre. The rod is a beauty and any quibble I have is very minor.

Both Andy and I are over 6 feet and I guess his issue is the same as mine - the handle feels a tiny bit short. It is shorter than other equivalent rated Carpenter rods by about 4 cm.  And that difference is all in the foregrip.

I reiterate again that this is not a big issue at all and should not put anyone off buying this beautiful rod.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Dre,

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the CV length, it's just a personnal thing for me, being 194cm tall and the rod being so damn light in the first place I thought it would be a nice modification to the rod. I am still in 2 minds about ordering a custom handle for the CV from carpenter. Expensive, yes, but I just like using it so much.

Mark, re the potential of even more line cap. on the salti. If SOM did a spool for it with the equvalent 20 to 25% increase in line cap that the SW got, I would buy one. Not only for GT's but it would be nice for PE6 or PE7 on big tuna!!
Set the ray to GeeT

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Cheers for the replies boys...

I'm 6'1", and like I said, the Ape Man factor is pretty high with long oranguatang arms, so was a little concerned... but no doubt she'll be a pleasure and a beauty to fish...

Thanks again for the informed info...

Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
I think the grip length issue is exacerbated by the fact that the hypalon grip finishes about 15  - 20mm short of the end of the butt......not sure why they did that!

It probably wouldn't be too hard to replace the foregrip with a new one that extends to the end of the butt....that will help a little bit.   Like you guys though, mine fits nice and snug into my 78EXH butt, only problem is........ I cant use both rods at the same time.

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
carpenter moster 80H amd 79xh then theres the ripple fisher ultimo 79 for stick baits .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Haha, Peter i have the first edition which is full Eva and it still annoys me.

I'd really like to see Carpenter do somethiing more with this popular CV series, the taper and blank are so light, strong  and user friendly. In the carpenter thread Tak indicated that Kenji san was testing a proto type 2" longer CV but it appears to have been shelved for the time being. A CV711/40 and a CV710/43 would be nice additions to this line.. ;) ;)
only problem is........ I cant use both rods at the same time.

Set the ray to GeeT

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
... and a CV710/43 would be nice additions to this line.. ;) ;)

Now we're talking  8)

... although we're getting pretty to close to the specs of the MH80H.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think the grip length issue is exacerbated by the fact that the hypalon grip finishes about 15  - 20mm short of the end of the butt......not sure why they did that!

Peter, I had that debate with Tak and Brandon in the Carpenter forum a while ago in respect of MH80H. I don't like that feature either and in fact had the grip re-buillt on mine to full cover the ferrule. But, it is down to which factory Carpenter use to make the butt sections and not specific to particular models. For example I have seen DJ83MH with full hypalon grip and with the version that finishes short and leaves the female ferrule exposed.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Getting closer yes, but the CV is lot softer tipped for sure. 

Now we're talking  8)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thats right, and the CV seems to be a lighter blank somehow, 7'10" would be better than 8' IMHO.

Getting closer yes, but the CV is lot softer tipped for sure. 

Now we're talking  8)

Set the ray to GeeT