Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A 35 kg fish on locked drag could equal $1,000+ of broken rod and a large medical bill  ::)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
One of the Nomad guides, Ed Lester used to fish with a heavier drag than anyone I have ever seen. A 30kg fish at Bugatti almost had him swimming. We had a double hook-up so the boat was going in all directions. The fish pulled him from the front of the boat all the way to the back and if he hadn't been able to hook his leg around the cage at the back of the dory, he would have been swimming!

When fishing for GTs of a decent size, no line out is a conceptual fantasy and no more than that.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Sounds like a challenge! I may reasses and change my attack to "minimal" line out!

Lol

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep, I totally agree with Brandon. The "No Line Out" stuff goes into the rubbish bin of over-macho nonsense that we hear far too much of in our sport.

Ben, fishing a heavy drag is definitely very different to locked drag. Give that a go for sure just so you know what it feels like. I reckon you might just think it takes the enjoyment out of your fishing, but sometimes a case can be made for it - big fish in very shallow water for example.  You are a big fella so it would be amusing to watch a GT pull you from one end of the boat to the other  ;D ;D .

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Please make sure the video camera is on when all this unfolds  ;D
Focus on the pop

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Andrew! If I fail in a spectacular way and it gets caught on tape I will defiantly post it here for all too see.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
You can't lose really, you will either tame a beast in a way that they have never been tamed before, or else provide us with a great deal of entertainment  ;D
Focus on the pop

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I doubt the "no line out" concept was meant to be strictly literal, I think it may relate more to a figurative concept in nasty conditions where bust-offs are too common.

As is indicated in earlier comments I think heavy drags do have a place and for those that can handle them, but I also much prefer to let a nicely balanced outfit put most of the brake on the fish rather than me taking the beating.

Conversely, one of the more enjoyable parts of the GT trip for me is that occasional meeting with the GT that employs the "no line in" policy ;) ;)
Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:48:26 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:

Conversely, one of the more enjoyable parts of the GT trip for me is that occasional meeting with the GT that employs the "no line in" policy ;) ;)

Too right Andy, and those are the ones that keep us coming back for more!!

My current set ups are:

DJ83MH & Stella 10000FA with 16000 and 20000 spools with 60lb Jerry Brown and 100lb Jerry Brown Respectively
CV79/40 & Stella 10000SW with JM 16000 Monster Spool and Handle Arm with 100lb Jerry Brown
RF 79H & Stella 18000SW with JM Handle Arm and Varivas GT Max PE 10

Feel like I've got pretty much all my bases covered with the above
The 79H is a sublime heavy chugger and handles the larger ( 200gram and up ) stickbaits well enough too, and is a wicked fish fighting tool.
The DJ83MH is an incredible all rounder, even though its supposedly "Older" Carpenter technology, it cast a mile and a half, is a great all day rod, works both Stickbaits and small to medium poppers well, and very easy on the angler, both casting and fighting fish.
The CV79.40 is the newest, and most prized of the stable, and a rod I've been after for ages... matched the 10KSW with the JM spool, I'm pretty sure this will start becoming my most used set up.... the ultimate stickbait rod for GT's in my opinion...

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Ocean Revolution Widowmaker and Stella 10000 Fa with extra 10000 and 20000 spool.

When we were in Florida fishing a wreck for Goliath grouper in 40 feet of water my friend was handed a 130 lbs trolling rod with a 50TLD 2 speed shimano reel with the drag locked and spooled with 130lbs mono....
He is 110kgs in weight and a pretty strong guy but after his first strike and (shortlived) fight with a grouper I could see the fear in his eyes as the fish nearly pulled him over the side 3 times :)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I am in agreement with Andre on the CV.

I bought one of these when they first came out and having tried several set-ups in between find that this is my 'go-to' rod.

CV79/40RF.SHP in SP78EXH handle
Stella 10K-XG with MC works handle, SOM 16000 NL spool and varivas PE8 
using stickbaits and/or smaller faced poppers between 100-150gm
Set the ray to GeeT

Jeffry Chai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
My current set up:
-BC75MHS with Stella SW8000HG pe6 avani gt
-CV 79/40 with New Saltiga 5000H pe8 YGK WX8
Near future shopping list:
-MH80H with New Saltiga 6500H pe10
Thanks,
Jeff

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
CV79/40 with a SW10000 with 16000 spool gets a 5 star rating from me also.

Like you Andy, my only little quibble with the Coral Viper is the slightly too short handle.  The only normal length handle I have which it fits nicely into is my Ripple Fisher GT82. Feels weird putting a Carpenter rod into a Ripple Fisher handle though!

I am in agreement with Andre on the CV.

I bought one of these when they first came out and having tried several set-ups in between find that this is my 'go-to' rod.

CV79/40RF.SHP in SP78EXH handle
Stella 10K-XG with MC works handle, SOM 16000 NL spool and varivas PE8 
using stickbaits and/or smaller faced poppers between 100-150gm
Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:53:55 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
New Saltiga 5000H pe8 YGK WX8

Hi Jeff... that's interesting. Can you get enough PE8 onto a Saltiga 5000 spool?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Saltiga 5000 has an almost identical spool capacity to SOM 16000. I know that is not what it says on paper but I have moved line from one spool to the other. It's lineball.
If it swims; I want to catch it!