Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PR Knot Tied without a bobbin
May 02, 2011, 09:40:51 PM
Fished northen Mozambique recently and friends on mine on the trip were tying their PR knots by hand without a bobbin and they had no failures. 

Just wanting any feedback re the pros and cons of tying a PR knot by hand.

I still use a bobbin however!! 
Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:45:45 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: PR Knott Tied without a bobbin
May 02, 2011, 10:09:52 PM
A PR Knot without a bobbin? Sounds very unusual.

You sure it was a PR Knot and not an FG Knot or Mid Knot?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2011, 10:32:31 PM
A PR knot without a bobbin is probably a midknot
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 03, 2011, 04:19:47 PM
I tie mine using a self devised contraption comprising of a sturdy paper clip (butterfly type), a AA size battery and a 3 ounce ball sinker.
Costs 2 bucks, works a charm and never lets me down.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2011, 04:50:54 PM
A PR knot without a bobbin is probably a midknot

My favourite knot .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 03, 2011, 11:33:45 PM
Jon i have seen that diagram before for the mid knot and tried it  am hopless with my hands just wish i could tie it or the fg ;D
 I think i might have the fg knot nearly OK but to be honest really need to meet some one in Brisbane who can check as for pr knot no problems unusually only 4cm total length  and hasn't failed also no probs through the guides.  But is such a stiff knot would really like to get the fg .

On another note as mainly a lbg fisher unfortunately a trip up north was ruined by the the torrential rain that hit gladstone and other places on the Monday before Easter weekend. From friends i heared that gt were around in fact a very large mackerel while being landed nearly got swollowed by a 25/35 kg GT.
due to the massive run off it was brown water forever not to mention 35km winds and a swell that was unpopperable. My aim was not to topwater lure fish for tuna or mackerel  but to get a GT
 The Gt's unlike the tuna and Spanish still stick around but i didn't even get a rise i I popped and stickbaited for 4 days not even a rise on my last day decided to put a dead bait out on my popping rod firstly to hook a gt but also knowing full well that if the sharks were back i would be in trouble this was done for 2 reasons only firstly to see how much drag i could safely run on the rocks and wether my pr knot could handle it ,
 I came close to water skiing both failures were at the 4 turn uni knot (170 lb fisherman stealth)  the pr knots held no problem nearly broke my finger when i got pingned a second time luckily the xrays gave me a clean bill apart from under my wedding ring which i cant get off . 8 kg max on rocks i however pushed it way to far however the pr knot held but the leader was ruined
Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:25:11 AM by Gareth Branicki

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 04, 2011, 12:02:17 AM
Jon i have seen that diagram before for the mid knot and tryed it  am hopless with my hands just wish i could tie it or the fg ;D

Gareth ,

It helps to wet the PE line first before starting to tie the knot . I have been using midknot from day 1 and do not feel the urge to change as it's one of the best knot proven by winning a knot tying competition in Japan by placing 1st n 2nd some years ago .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 04, 2011, 12:14:19 AM
Jon i had read that the mid knot had won the best awards i am just not comfortable trusting it yet jsut like the fg knot .
 normally for lbg tuan or spanish mackeral its a bimini twist to an improved allbright so at the moment working myself through the gt knots

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 04, 2011, 02:01:43 AM
Jon i had read that the mid knot had won the best awards i am just not comfortable trusting it yet jsut like the fg knot .
 normally for lbg tuan or spanish mackeral its a bimini twist to an improved allbright so at the moment working myself through the gt knots

Hi Gareth ,

Check this animation , hope you can do midknot soon .

Jon .

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2011, 12:22:36 AM
Jon thanks for that animation will definitely give it some effort at the moment I am only just able to use my wedding finger.

Hopefully next week back to gt knot learning unit code 101   maybe i might pass after repeatedly failing this subject ::)

p.s sorry to all for the bad spelling earlier but typing with one hand that works and a left hand doesn't work is  !!!!!
 as for spell check no comment
cheers
Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:31:23 AM by Gareth Branicki

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Re: PR Knot Tied without a bobbin
May 11, 2011, 02:44:43 PM
Thanks guys after seeing the diagrams I agree the knot they tying is a mid knot.

Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Mads Soendergaard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: PR Knot Tied without a bobbin
May 12, 2011, 01:20:13 AM
Hmm

Any idea about breaking % of ABS?