ed baduria

Re: Ginei stick baits
May 12, 2011, 04:14:20 PM
From some of the photos on their web site, it appears they use pine. Durability might be an issue. Regardless, I plan on ordering 2 or 3 Bluefin lures. Anyone else plan on ordering?

Ed

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 12, 2011, 07:27:51 PM
Is there a problem posting prices or would that be against the websites sponsor policy just asking .
Great workmanship but I would seriously worry about the internal wiring being torn out on a good GT any thoughts from others

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 12, 2011, 08:23:31 PM
I have the same concerns with the wiring Gary, depends on what he uses to bond the two sides.  I'm not sure why people are holding off on prices for these - not like a site sponsor two or more carries them.  Numbers i was told you are looking at two Ben Franklins plus change, each...

edit: just watched the youtube video - worth every penny/
Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:35:21 PM by Travis Heaps

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 06:53:24 AM
From some of the photos on their web site, it appears they use pine. Durability might be an issue.

Ed

A conifer in the cypress family, Hiba. Looks like he uses USA Hiba as stated at the start of the vid.
"Also, very durable in the ground or under water, hence most useful in general construction work for the building of bridges, houses, docks and ships".

The problem with true hand crafted lures is time and money! Looks like the only "machine" he uses is an airbrush. True perfection 8)
Are lures like this really about catching fish? Or is it the art of crafting and tuning with the catching of the fish a distant 3rd?

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 09:09:15 AM
The craftsmenship and the attention to detail would be everything, this bloke is obviously a perfectionist, truly stunning lures.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 09:17:24 AM
I plan on doing a display cabinet of all the lures/traces/rigs of most memorable fish and other collectors items, there would definatley be space for a lure like this. just like any art enthusist appreciates a painting, any true fisho would appreciate this lure.

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 11:34:11 AM
From some of the photos on their web site, it appears they use pine. Durability might be an issue.

Ed

A conifer in the cypress family, Hiba. Looks like he uses USA Hiba as stated at the start of the vid.
"Also, very durable in the ground or under water, hence most useful in general construction work for the building of bridges, houses, docks and ships".

The problem with true hand crafted lures is time and money! Looks like the only "machine" he uses is an airbrush. True perfection 8)
Are lures like this really about catching fish? Or is it the art of crafting and tuning with the catching of the fish a distant 3rd?
Good point ! but the craftsman who is making these lure might be hoping for them to be used for fishing and probably hoping for fantastic reviews.  This would in turn boost demand for them and all that follows with a greater demand.  Some times too much of a demand is a bad thing, Quality issues, price increases etc.. I personally appreciate craftsmanship in all things..

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 12:33:29 PM
The most important attribute a lure must have to become commercially successful is it must catch fisherman.

Now a lot of us are somewhere in between fishermen & collectors. We pay heaps for a reel that will do what we want. We could buy a cheaper reel that would do the job for 95% of the time and could be stretched to do the job for the 5%, but we don't. We like precision and beauty in design  :)  But part of fishing is the joy in using well designed attractive gear. A lot of the time its a bonus if it catches fish.

These lures look truly beautiful and we know they are hand crafted & expensive so that is a bonus for the collector in us.
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 13, 2011, 01:33:44 PM
Bernie, I don't know how commercially successful these can be in terms of units sold, given the man-hours and methods that go into the production. Sure, they'll sell to collectors, or perhaps those who have ridiculous amounts of coin they don't know what to do with, but these lures are too 'niche' and expensive to be a widespread hit amongst anglers who actually buy lures purely to fish with, I reckon.  :-\

Don't get me wrong, not taking anything away from Genei lures, or the brilliant craftsman who makes them, they are clearly stunning pieces of kit, but I am finding myself questioning their validity as a viable fishing tool.
Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:36:44 PM by Angus Hulme