Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recent Alor trip
March 22, 2011, 04:29:44 PM
There has been 2 fishing trips, to  Alor and Bali since I moved back to Jakarta from New Zealand mid last year. Result from both trips weren't something that I can talk or brag about. Last week another opportunity came up. I went back to Alor with the plan to fish at another part of the island.

Day 1, we arrived at the spot mid afternoon. Weather was not as friendly as we thought would be. However it was fish able. We managed to catch some average size of GTs on the short day although sign of bigger fish was obvious with some of us experienced line bust off and lost poppers. I was into my 1st GT soon after my first cast. The Carpenter BLC 84/22 Power 1 was performing amazingly however I soon changed my set up with a suitable set for GT fishing and heavier class.

Day 2, we headed to the jigging ground early that morning. Half way to the spot. The wind started to pick up. We decided to go back and do the popping instead. We wasted half a day but popping was better on the 2nd day and we managed to cover more area of the atoll reef. 30kg plus GT was boated on the day

Day3, we decided to do some jigging on the outter area of the reef. Good sign from the sounder but fish weren't biting. Back to popping however similar to jigging, fish weren't biting neither.

Day 4, we decided to have a full day of popping and the day went very well. More lost poppers and bust off line but few big one were boated up.

In conclusion, we had a great time, great company and the scenery was a breathtaking.

Gear:
Rod
Carpenter BLC 84/22 power 1
Carpenter CV79RF40
Carpenter WX80XH
Hot's Gipang 79 XH
Smith GTK 77 Keloyhu

Reel
Stella SW10000XG
Stella SW10000
Stella SW18000HG
Daiwa Dogfight

Lure
Adhek Penipen, Dragon Net(catch most fish)
Heru Skipjack(catch the biggest fish), GT Mania
FC Labo stick bait and poppers

Enjoy the pictures

Tight Lines,
Bwanna

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Recent Alor trip
March 22, 2011, 04:40:18 PM
Looks like you were on MV Theodoras there Bwanna?

The results were not unlike my visit to Alor last November........

Even if the fish are not playing ball, I  challenge anyone not to enjoy a trip to Alor - it is just so spectacular.

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 05:11:43 PM
Yes you're right Mark...we were on Theodoras
For this trip..we went to east instead of the west side of the island...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 05:26:47 PM
We also fished for one day up on the north eastern side of main Alor and thought it looked very likely for big GTs although we did boat any over 20kgs.  Also chased around some tuna schools up there.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 11, 2011, 05:21:53 PM
Few of my friends is planned for Alor next week 16-19 May 2011.
Can you suggest the best popping setup to tackle Alor GTs?
How about jigging setup?

cheers
izhan

Wiwied Soeparto

May 23, 2011, 01:35:26 PM

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 23, 2011, 04:45:06 PM
suprisingly no GT!!!

Wiwied Soeparto

May 23, 2011, 04:56:27 PM
there were some missed bites, no hook up at all

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 23, 2011, 06:53:26 PM
A bad days fishing at Alor is better than a great days work in Brisbane!

Halezan Hassan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 24, 2011, 12:51:26 PM
Hello,

I'm on the trip last week. Only GT are passive while we caught lots of Ruby range from 10-18kg while big doggie is just unstoppable. Most cases, they got the leader. Biggest doggie were 20kg. Largest on the trip is Spanish Mack 24kg. Fukui-san's trip few months back managed to haul up 18 GT and the biggest is 38kg. I do believed this place are still worth to try with a piece of luck, you can be the lucky one to land GT over 50kg.