• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Aaron Concord

Chris,
Weather wise 10-15kn of SE with up to 1.2m of swell....that's it if you are in a boat under 6m.
Was on the phone with Crazy Pete Lowe last night...after looking at Google Earth he has a new appreciation of how far & exposed you are.
Tides need to be the biggest you can get either full or new moons, which can make it a Hawaiian Surf Movie on Sandy Cape Shoals and Spit Bombie on a big ebb tide into more than 1.2m of swell...1.5 tops unless you are in a larger vessel.
It's around 75NM run ONE WAY fro Urangan to Spit Bombie...though the trip is worth it...trust me!!
And you need to cross the Spit at some stage...means a bar crossing...during BIG TIDE WEEK, it means being there, at the bar with the tide still coming in...forget crossing in 15kn of SE with 1.5+ of swell down near the island...you would need to get up to the 13mile Gutter (13NM from Sandy Cape) to safetly cross...

Luke,
You are right...if you stay on the INSIDE of Fraser or leave from Urangan, you can still chase Trevor's down the Straits or go up to Platypus Bay & play with the Goldies, Mackerel, Tunas and little Billys that live their......time of year....now!!!!
Actually, the weather is the biggest determining factor for the area....Oct-Dec then April/May is most stable....though th BIG tides are Jan/Feb/March....whos going!!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
no go for me, guys. I hope you do manage to get a trip organised and that the weather is kind to you. You need it in that area.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
yeah i would love to tag along with you boy,s ..... let,s have some fun . let me know ... umm maybe i can help ???  ;D

hey brandon why not you swap one of your trip (shoalwater trip) with me so you can head out to frazer  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:44:20 PM by Mick

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Aaron, is fishing off a big WA type charter boat feasible for GTs, like for jigging, or is casting to much a problem? I think Geoff Shorthouse still runs 'Crusader111' [65ft] out of Bundy to Cato Reef and does closer trips, he may have 'Cervantes' [34ft] up there too.
Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:10:07 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Aaron Concord

Luke,
Weather wise, the new moon generally is better up there...no hard n fast rule though it is better than the very small windows I have seen around the full, when 20-25Kn of SE'ly usually ridges up the coast...IMO.
If it is a short weekender then a new moon gives more leeway....that's my experience with the place.
The stumbling block is the full moon does go off like a cracker....did a day trip from Brissie in Feb 03...a mate hooked the biggest GT i have ever seen....20min fight and it wore through twisted 100lb fluorocarbon...estimated at 75-80kg...never seen one that big since and that WAS on the DAY of the full moon and the weather was terrific...for once!

Greg,
The Crusaders wouldn't be much good...too hard to cast from with all their uprights for the top awning...Cervantes however is a definet...and is nimble enough to chase a honker GT down in shallow water....Spit Bombie is only in 10-12m of water...comes up to 5 in places...Yes...it does get surf over it!
Best vessels would be 5-6m long if they carried the fuel!!
Next best...boats in the 26-40 foot range that can take the fuel, be used for sleeping and fish up to 4 guys no problems from the stern.....I prefer the cockpit if a giant mother is going to climb on...bugger leaning against a bow rail with 15kg+ drag!!

Ivan Verhage

Hi guys

I am interested in in tagging along and towing up a 5.5m boat
My only question would be,. do we have to stay at urangan.
 is there a place near the top where we can stay so we do not have to cover such a distance each trip up.

Cheers
ivan

Aaron Concord

Ivan,
Guess it's up to the "fleet size"....and if 4WD's are a common household appliance!
If the boats are up to 6.5m, then beach towing should be no problem.
You can either beach lauch at Waddy Point through the surf.
Or you can catch the barge to Moon Point and beach launch at Awinya or Whathumba Creeks...both have +'s and -'s to each spot.
Main thing is you need to be totally self-sufficent on the inside beach with fuel.
On the Waddy side, Orchid Beach has fuel....

Aaron.

Rob Ciotucha

I might be interested in tagging along if there is a spare spot.

How much do you guys think such a trip will cost once arrived at the closest airport to Frazer?

Cheers
Rob

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi All,

Some great info their Aaron, Thanks for your input. My thoughts were to hang around Waddy / Indian Head and launch from there to get us all safely up to spot X. It goes without saying that this is going to be entirley weather dependant - as we are in the open water - but I do believe that the Gods will take good care of the GT Warriors and look favourably upon us.............

I will be going up next weekend for a flick / pop - and to get a reality on all the questions raised so far to see what the most efficient plan of attack will be.

If any of you would like some specific questions answered let me know and I will do my best to find out for you. I will also take some current pics so you can judge for yourself.

8)

Aaron Concord

Pete,
No problem mate....just glad to help since I have fished the heck outta the place...nothing worse than having no clue about loggistics for a trip of any kind.

To All,
Same as Pete, just ask...glad to help.
If we can add it to the forum, would that be better than private messages, Luke?????

Cheers

Aaron.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Thanks Aaron,

I would ask that all those serious in coming please email me at [email protected]

We will share all the info on the thread but i need to know serious numbers - please email me and anything else you may want to know/contribute.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Ivan - check your PMs!