ed baduria

Hello,
Just returning from my GT trip from Southern Oman and had a chance to try out Carpenters MH80H. Very nice bend, casts great and  very easy to handle. Since I am on the short side handling and 8ft GT rod on small boats is a bit of a hassle. Has anyone tried the MH79XH? Is it much stiffer than the 8ft version? How do the tips compare? At the moment my heavy rods are Komodo and RF 79H. I will admit after two hours of popping(150-180gr) poppers the RF 79H is a bit much for me and plan on selling it in the near future. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Ed,

On specification, MH79XH is 45lb rod and 5lb heavier in each section compare to MH80H and has very similar curve (MH80H is 40lb rod). It handles slightly larger lures of course.

Will it make big difference to angler? - I've been asked this question by few people but it is bit hard to explain the difference. These two rods are visibly not too different and I normally say it will be all depending on each angler's ability. Brandon and I have fished with both rod in NC last year and to me MH79XH is bit too heavy as I'm leelte guy and 40lb rod pretty much set my limit while Brandon didn't see much difference between two rods as he is able to fish with much heavier tackle, if this make sense to you.

If you need to use 170-180g popper however, you may have to go with MH79XH. (depending on cup size)

I have never fish with RF79H so I'll need to leave comparison between those rods to someone else (Brandon?  ;D)

Cheers,
Tak

ed baduria

Hi Tak,
Thanks for the information! I just purchased the CV79/40, what a great rod. Though it did get a bit saturated on 170gr poppers, it worked Bigfoot 170gr and Gamma's 160's extremely well. With the information you have provided, I will most likely purchase the MH 79XH. On a side note, will any of the EP 32/38 be shipped to the US? Thanks again

Regards,

ED

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
to me, the MH79XH is more of a match for the 79H than the MH80H. I think the 79XH has a marginally softer tip than the 79H but power-wise, they're ballpark.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Tak,  Looks like Ed was asking almost identical questions that we were talking about. He found a CV79/40 that is a rod I've been trying to find since February.  The other three rods , the two Carpenters and the RF GT79H are the three I am looking at also. I'm leaning toward the MH79XH it sounds like it does perform near the 79H but with a slightly softer tip that Brandon mentioned makes me think it might be easier to fish with for longer periods than the 79H .           Cheers                    Lee

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Ed - I have no idea whether EP 82/38 will be shipped to the US as Carpenter hasn't even called this rod for order yet.

Lee - Some CV79/40 has been delivered less than a year ago and some shops in somewhere may still have them.

ed baduria

Thanks for all the great info! A friend in the states is currently doing a side by side comparison(s); Smith  Komodo, Hot's 77XH, and Carpenter MH79XH. I've used the Komodo for several years and am very happy with it, but it casts like a pig, the Hot's Tide Lez is a great all around light PE10 rod that can handle mid sized poppers and big stickbaits and casts very well. Managed to land several GT's from 35 to over 40kg on this rod. Since the Hot's is more of a stickbait rod, and does handle 150-170 poppers OK. I'm guessing the Carpenter should be easier to use on poppers in that range and maybe a little heavier. Now if I could get a hold of the new Carpenter EP82/38 my Carpenter rod collection will be complete! Thanks again.

ED

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
dear ed,

i have tried both 80m and 79xh.
79xh is considered too stiff for me.
I love MH80H more.  Easy to cast 150-170 lure with PE8 Avani SMP.

just my 2 cents
thanks

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I agree with Izhan's observation , I am not sure MH80H n MH79XH should share the same PE rating , MH79XH definitely has more " beef " than MH80H .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I understand that both MH popping rods are medium heavy, say up to 180-200 maximum of CW (for 79XH). Will Carpenter cover MH serie with the top segment (PE12 - 250 gr effective, what belonged to SP UXH)? I'm asking this question 'cause I was looking for Superpopping UXH, currently out of production and hard to find. So actually, my choice is going for RF GT 78 XH.
Thanks

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Antonino,

As far as I know, there is no plan for heavier Monster Hunter equivalent to SP78UHL-SHP. They are actually different type of blanks.

(I assume Superpopping UXH is SP78UHL-SHP...)

Cheers,
Tak

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Based on scheduled rod production, Carpenter will not produce any SP series this year and and i think, to give path for more forgiving blank such as CV, MH and EP series.
I hope my thinking is wrong.

Monster Hunter 79XH is rated PE8-10. I think its more weighted to PE10 with ideal lure weight is around 180-220g and max drag of 14kg.
Both MH80H and MH79XH looks identical, except at joint where the foregrip of MH79XH covers all the way to the joint.
I also cannot cross change both rods coz they have different diameter at the joint.

juz my 2 cents

cheers
izhan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Based on scheduled rod production, Carpenter will not produce any SP series this year and and i think, to give path for more forgiving blank such as CV, MH and EP series.
I hope my thinking is wrong.

Monster Hunter 79XH is rated PE8-10. I think its more weighted to PE10 with ideal lure weight is around 180-220g and max drag of 14kg.
Both MH80H and MH79XH looks identical, except at joint where the foregrip of MH79XH covers all the way to the joint.
I also cannot cross change both rods coz they have different diameter at the joint.

juz my 2 cents

cheers
izhan

Hi Ishan ,

They are of 2 different blanks .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
yup Jon your rite.....diameter at joint for MH80H is bigger than MH79XH. Two different blank formula.

cheers
izhan

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thank you all for the informations  :)