Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shipping Rods / Insurance
May 26, 2011, 10:26:57 AM
Hi Guys

Just a note regarding transport companies , i sent a damaged rod from Northern Aus a couple of months ago via an unnamed but well known courier to QLD, we only have one choice of courier up here in Iron Ore land.

Having bought a dozen rods from overseas and over east i have never had any problems but on this occasion they have lost this one rod , !! 

After several weeks of phone calls all around the country the company has wiped there hands of any responsibility as the item was not insured ,

from now on i will pay the extra for insurance ,

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Shipping Rods / Insurance
May 26, 2011, 04:49:41 PM
Hey Jim, I feel your pain mate.

I had an unfortunate similar experience some years back when I purchased a GT Special from a dude in North QLD. The rod only needed to be transported from Mackay to Bris, but somehow in that distance, the package was obviously run over by an Australia Post truck, and when I extracted the rod from it's (bent and distorted) PVC tube package, I found the rod was about 6-piece instead of 2-piece!  >:(  Fortunately I'd made sure I opened the package in full view of the Australia Post staff while at the post office, so they could verify that something was not right. I even got them to sign the complaint form there and then. So while the item was covered for it's purchase value, actually getting the money from Australia Post was similar to extracting a 50kg GT on 2kg baitcast tackle. The correspondence and phone calls went back and forward for ages until eventually, some 4 months later, they sent me a cheque for the purchase amount. Never again! However, the take-home message I think is to make sure you insure any expensive item.

Since then, I've been lucky to only take delivery of rods in person (from good members of this forum actually).

Cheers
Angus

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 26, 2011, 06:01:57 PM
That sucks Jim, what was the rod??

Scott Cushman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 26, 2011, 08:16:34 PM
I got the wrong rod imported, but turned out to cost more to ship back than what I paid. They asked me to cut it up into small pieces so they could claim insurance..... must admit it felt weird taking a hacksaw to a perfectly good rod....

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 28, 2011, 07:03:39 PM
Jay , was a Varivas Violente i picked up in Japan last year, was a awesome light popping rod , Duncans happy but - he got more $$$$$$ out of me AGAIN !!!!

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 28, 2011, 07:55:23 PM
Jim, I have had the same happen also. I had sold a rod and sent it to the new owner via courier...It never did turn up, I tracked the item to one of their depots in a town to the North when the item was heading South? After many phone calls I was told it was stolen...Yes stolen... I was told there is many hands in the chain blah blah, I kindly explained they work for the Company and it was taken at their depot...I could not believe how the man on the phone was saying "These things happen you know". ???

Needless to say I don't use that company any more  >:(

Trent

May 28, 2011, 10:25:54 PM
Well that is a very important "heads up" as I'm soon to be transporting a rod through the post my self.
Thanks for sharing