Jamie Moir

Ok so I know there are some bigger, more ooglie fish down there, because we caught some of them. Latest was a bass grouper probably over 25kg and a puka 15kgish.

The problem we're having is damn reds every drop and they're getting on before the ooglies do. The puka in fact was lucky, because it monstered a small red on the jig already, and then copped the hook.

Do we just need to try and find different drifts that might be different types of fish? The reds seem to hit ANY sized jig.

Or do I just put up with the bycatch?

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are you running a assist hook on the top or on the bottom? We get good reds down of the south coast but the only way we ever catch them in on the top hook. THey never seem to get hooked on the bottom??? Weird I know

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
But the Red snapper still taste good  :)

Jamie Moir

Might try that.

What else do you get on the bottom hook over there then?

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Pinkies, mirror dory, puka, blue eye, western bass etc. Pretty much most of our fish we get we catch on the bottom hook. Depends on the jig. If using a short jig then we don't always run a bottom hook but if using longer profile jigs then we always use a bottom hook.

Jamie Moir

Ok, ta for the tip, will try a bottom hook next time around!

Jamie Moir

Interesting, I got bigger Red Snapper on the bottom hook than the top one, but they were still red snapper!

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Well at least they were bigger lol  ;D

Jamie Moir

Yeah, crap day put though, so not a good test.