Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sumba & Komodo - April 2011
June 02, 2011, 02:35:02 PM
Hi, everyone,

I think the thought of monsters lurking within Sumba had attracted us to plan this trip. Well, the trip planning was very articulate and we expected everything to go as planned but it didn't.

No. 1 : Screw Merpati
- They are really a bunch of losers and they have perfected the art of delaying your trip. We took three days from the actual planned arrival date to arrive in Waingapu. To make matters worst, we did not arrive in Waingapu (technically) as they send us to another small airport in which I didn't even bother to remember the name. They stuffed us like sardines in a mini bus that drove drive like GT Grand Turismo in PS3.

No. 2 : There is nothing to do in Waingapu. If possible, get on the boat and start fishing the soonest you can or else you would be bored to death.

No. 3 : The triple experience of Amazing Race, Man vs. Wild & Deadliest Catch
- That's how I would describe the trip. When we arrived in Waingapu, it started to piss on us like there's no tomorrow. The weather was bad but we continue to persist on the journey. To have a good catch in Sumba, the weather is vital. If the weather is no good, it's best that you stay home and read a book. But the weather is good, I can almost guarantee, there are biggies waiting to suprise you at Tanjung Sasar.

No. 4 : The crew at Ulua Xtreme is spot on.
- They are responsible (special thanks to Kosasi and Adam) and a great crew to fish with.
- But the boat is good for max. 3 anglers as it is difficult to cast and balance yourself with 4 or 5 mates next to you.

No. 5 : For quantity, Rinca and Komodo is filled with activities and non-stop action.

No. 6 : For the adventurous and biggie hunters, Sumba might be the place for you. But then again, the gamble with the weather and heavy currents is not for the average angler.
It's like Rottnest on a really bad day.

We caught most of fish in Sumba but as we were all fired up, an accident happened in Rinca causing us to lose our propeller and cut short the trip. However, we will definitely be back to focus on Komodo as Ulua Xtreme is an expert in Komodo/Rinca.

Here are some of the pics.

Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:39:12 PM by Lenny Lim

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Sumba & Komodo - April 2011
June 02, 2011, 11:08:14 PM
Hi Lenny,

You tell a good story and some trips are memorable for the bad aswell as the good! 
It's important anglers are also good traveller as factors like bad weather, boat problems, local characters and delays can be the undoing of months of planning. Main thing is, you know for next time (and have shared this for others also) and I hope you get back to Komodo and there are plenty of good fish and smiles alround.
Look forward to the next report and photo's.

Cheers David

Anthony Dillon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2011, 04:56:43 PM
Hi Lenny,

many thanks for the post. May I ask how you lost the propeller ? scary I would imagine in those waters

Regards Anthony

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
June 06, 2011, 10:31:16 AM
Well done nice report..

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 07:26:50 PM
Thanks, guys.
We are really not sure what really happened, it could be the captain had earlier tried to tighten the pin on the prop and over did it. Or it happened when we were going back and forth at a reef trying to retrieve a popper that was stuck on the rocks. We were having the time of our lives as that reef was filled with mangrove jacks and we trying to land some of them.

All in one we were lucky after much persuasion, a boat collecting clams decided to tow us back to Labuan bajo. It took 9 hours to reach which was hell. I'll never go on any of the boats if they did not show me they have a spare one to replace.
The whirlpool swirls between Rinca and Komodo is scary especially when it's dark and you have no prop.

All in the name of GT!!!

David Chan

June 09, 2011, 01:58:49 PM
Well done nice report..

can you post something meaningful?

sorry out of topic but never seen anything useful from your 600 posts :P

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 10, 2011, 02:15:33 AM
Well done nice report..

That got to sting a bit  :o

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 13, 2011, 10:00:43 PM
Well done nice report..

Ouch!!

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 01, 2011, 11:10:29 PM
Well done mate. Great report

Alex Thomson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 04:17:14 PM
good stuff nice rep.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 05:00:25 PM
Lenny!  Somehow I missed this report from last year and have only now read it.

Bad luck, really bad luck. The X-Treme Ulua boat is a bit old but normally very reliable.  To have that happen is just one of those things I guess.

A few comments:

Spot on with Merpati. Horrible airline and use others if you can.  Sadly, in remote Eastern Indonesia it is sometimes the only choice.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Waingapu. Sumba is home to one of the most unique cultures on this planet (one of the very few megalithic cultures left anywhere) and the indigenous people are some of the most fascinating and friendly I have comes across in my very wide travels.  If your statement "there is nothing to do" means no shopping malls and bars, then so be it. But I think many anglers would look a bit deeper than that. It is a truly remarkable island. See for example :http://www.waingapu.com/sumba-island-the-exotic-and-mystic-herritage.html .

Personally, I think the Tanjung Sasar coastline has some of the best GT fishing anywhere in Indonesia - better than Alor and definitely better than Komodo.

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2012, 04:15:44 AM
Well done nice report..

And got how many post...

Better to post something than nothing.
When you write down a report, it's nice to get some reply's.

Lenny: Sadly not all trips goes as planned. Stil it could be worse. And most important, you cought some GT.
Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:27:16 AM by Martin Gundersen
Tight lines
Martin

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
March 21, 2012, 02:00:30 AM
Mark and fellow GT hunters,

The journey to Waingapu was largely ruined by Merpati. We had to endure endless delays with Merpati before ending up on the other side of the island (not Waingapu) and had to sit through a six hour cramped bus journey to Waingapu.

I would not recommend Merpati to anyone after the experience.

Fishing trips minus the city night life is fine as we are all there to chill and have a good time with nature  ;) that i have to agree 100% with you.

Again, i must Tanjung Sasar is awesome and I believe there are monster sized GTs lurking there. However, lady luck was not on our side as we were hit with bad weather for almost two days at Sumba.

The interesting part is the channel crossing between Sumba to Flores. That part of the channel is teeming with ocean life and there are bound to be monsters as well if someone were to do some trolling.

Cheers !