Luke Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jewell reef- What to bring
May 16, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
Hey guys

Probly going to be doing a trip with nomad to Jewell reef later in the year. Not really too sure as to how heavy/light gear im going to need.

sofar the outfits im looking to bring are

Hammerhead faube 78ml- 18000sw with PE8
GTK70jp - 4500 saltiga - pe 5
KGS68m - 4000 saltiga PE 3
AMJ54H - 8000sw with SOM spool PE5

Also have a Dogfight and a smith Keyholu but looking to offload the keyholu and get something dedicated for stickbaits but don't know what yet.

For those of you that have been to Jewell what would you bring and have i got my bases covered with these outfits?

Cheers
luke

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Jewell reef- What to bring
May 22, 2011, 06:47:35 PM
Hi Luke,

Sounds about right to me mate.  There's a lot of info. on the Nomad site on gear to take.

I fished Jewell late 2009 and there were a lot of GT's on the windward side of the reefs right in the breakers.  The bigger the wind & waves the more fish seemed to pack in on these spots.  As the skipper mooches the boat along the reef look out for small points extending out from the reef - these seemed to concentrate the GT's.  Along the lee side of the reefs and on calmer current edges there were fewer GT's....but some very, very big ones (or maybe the big ones could get to the lures here without all the competition) - so watch out in those shallow bommie riddled areas !!

If the weather is windy have a couple of sinking stickbaits on hand - they are nice and easy to fish in a big swell.

Light tackle fishing on top of the reef is brilliant...be careful how far you cast from the boat or you will lose a lot of lures !!!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Tight lines   Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2011, 09:23:38 PM
I'd suggest you think of a PE6-8 Jigging outfit instead
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David East

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
I realize I'm new on this forum but I suggest you take ME  8) on this trip.
I have as much gear as any tackle shop,can cook,don't snore,can tie perfect knots and don't eat much.Give it a thought.hehehe Dave ;D