Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith Popping Rod Lighter Alternatives
May 27, 2011, 03:48:52 AM
Hi All

I am interested in getting a lighter Smith popping rod to pair with the Stella 1000SW for targeting Jacks, Roosters, Tuna, Coral Trout etc   

I have the WRC 80P/35 and the WRC Rocket. 

I am thinking of getting the GTK 74PG, would this rod go well with a Stella 10000 SW and would it be suitable for the above species.

I see from the info on the rod that it is a good distance caster casting 90m easier, which I understand is essential for targeting Roosters in the surf zone. 

What other options are there? - maybe the KGS 70MH?

I also have the Stealth STK76H paired with a Stella 5000 how does this rod compare to the GTK 74PG - don't want to duplicate?

Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:48:04 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Craig
The 10000 sw would be to big a reel for the KGS 70 MH i use a 6000 FA with the rod. It works well on Jacks, Roosters and Dorados etc. Have you used the Rocket yet and how do you like it
Michael

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Craig, I know it's not a Smith, but check out the Saltiga 80TN - its a good match for the 10000SW, and will provide much better casting distance.  BTW, I have a STK76H as well and find it balances well with the 8000/10000 SW, the tip of the Stealth is actually slightly stiffer than the Saltiga though.  I can point you in the direction of an 80TN if you are chasing one.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Craig
The 10000 sw would be to big a reel for the KGS 70 MH i use a 6000 FA with the rod. It works well on Jacks, Roosters and Dorados etc. Have you used the Rocket yet and how do you like it
Michael

Hi Michael, I'm pretty sure 10000SW and 6000FA are comparable in size, spool capacity differs a little though.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:49:49 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Craig, I have a temple reef BD100 too, it's a great rod if your primary purpose is distance!  If distance is not the number one priority, I find myself reaching for the 80TN for stick baits and the STK76 for medium poppers.  The BD100 can be a little unweildy at times - out of a boat!

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Thanks Peter I too think the BD100 is to long for use off a boat!

Sounds like the Stealth might be fine, I understand that Randy did battle with a 175lbs tuna during testing of the rod. 

Damn now no reason to buy a rod!

What do you know of the Smith KGS 70MH, how does it compare to the Stealth and what size Stella would you pair it up with?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Craig
Great to hear that you like your Rocket, i just bought one. it will be a while before i can test it though. :(
Not to be smart but the 10000sw weighs 825g and the 6000fa 669g the 10000sw being more powerfull to, maybe be better with the KGS 74
Michael

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Sorry Craig
I must have been seen double it is 630g sorry

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Hi Michael you not being to smart at all.

I weighed the two reels some time ago and could not remember 100% which was lighter, I just remember being surprised by the weights - I will recheck when next at my local tackle store as they still have some new 6000FA.

I did not know you get a KGS 74 where would I find the specs out on this rod is is much heavier than the 70?

Cheers

Craig
Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:21:27 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

I did not know you get a KGS 74 where would I find the specs out on this rod is is much heavier than the 70?

Cheers

Craig

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello Craig

Do not write off the BD 100. I have one and have reckon that it is a great value for money rod. I fish it with both a Stella 10 000FA or a Stella 8000 SW. Due to its action I would think it to be a far better boat rod than the Saltiga 80TN. It is an incredible casting rod and i find its sweet spot to be around the 90gram.

Speak to Nepps as I am sure that they may still have one or two in stock.

Regards
Anton

David East

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
 I don't want to get off subject but I'm wondering what line size /make anyone is using with BD100 and what reel size.
I'm using a stella sw 8000 w/ tuf line 40# solid line.
 Thanks,Dave

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I have two reels that I use on mine. The first is a 10 000 Stella FA with 50lbs YGK and the second is a 8000 Stella SW. Have two spools one with 30lbs Bionic Braid  and the other 40lbs Jerry Brown Hollowcore. Conditions dictate what reel and lbs braid I will use. I use the smaller reel and thinner diameter when distance is a factor and the terrain is not too foul. The heavier reel and line is used when distance not an issue and terrain dictates heavier line. Also tend to go lighter when I know that I will be making a lot of casts a day.

Regards
Anton