Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ripple Big tuna 87
June 14, 2011, 09:54:27 PM
Has anyone tried one of these? interested in their potential as both a kingfish and tuna stickbait rod..

SPEC:length-8ft 7inch
Section-1
Lure - 30g?140g
Line - PE6?12
Action - Slow
Rod weight - 420g

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Ripple Big tuna 87
June 14, 2011, 11:03:34 PM
Just read about this rod earlier today and sounds good...

Jason Chiu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 15, 2011, 04:23:22 PM
Wow the spec is pretty damn cool!
Such a heavy rod for so light lures =]

Jason Chiu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Marc Inoue

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2011, 06:02:32 PM
looks like an awesome rod!
but man, where did they take those bend pictures :o

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 06:49:01 PM
Im have one of these in my posession, will be testing on up coming trip next week, hopefully have some results to write about and give feedback on the rod stay tuned guys.
Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:54:24 PM by Gavin Ng

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 08:52:17 PM
Awesome Gavin, looking forward to your feedback!  :)

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2011, 12:39:28 AM
Hey guys, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to fight a fish on the rod. To summarise a few initial observations of the rod:

1. The weight of the rod is heavier when compared to other ripples i have used (gt78h, gt83lc)
2. The reel seat is higher than any off the shelf gt/tuna rod I have used (with the exception of the shimano kabutsu range) the only reason I can come up with is it is to accommodate for the low-riding fighting belts with the need to use these belts for extended fights with big tuna in mind.
3. The stripper guide and a few guides after are placed quite high compared to other rods of similar length. I'd assume this is due to the how much this rod bends!!

I will take pics of this rod next to ep88/35 and it will be clear to see the difference in reel seat, foregrip and guide position.

When picking up the rod, and slightly loading you really begin to wonder how the hell the rod is rated to pe12? it's not just the tip thats flexible, I would say the larger half of the blank is very flexible. but judging by the video attached it's clear to see that most of the power in the blank lies on the bottom. I'm unable to give my opinion on if this rod can fish up to pe12 because I haven't fought fish on it and i am using it as a pe6-8 rod and I physically can't handle pe12.

In terms of cast weight I used everything from 40 gram jigs, ulua 60, shibuki, gamma bc 75 to heru tuna 100. While the lower weights was still loading the blank to a acceptable level, I was casting further towards the heavier side of the spectrum 80-100gram range. The flexible tip worked stickbaits very well but I felt the tuna 100 was saturating the rod too much for my liking and required more effort to work the popper. The rod worked the bc gamma fine, and the tip is softer that my ep88 its similar to my tbl80

Overall I'm satisfied with the rod, in terms of castability and ability to cast a range of weights. I don't you guys should purchase this rod specifically to cast light weights, but rather u should purchase it as a rod to cast regular weight tuna lures but get away with casting lighter weights for those frustrating times when you have to. Hopefully I will be able to blood in the rod soon, if not, I'll will try it for local kingfish so I can provide more feedback.

Cheers guys

BIG TUNA87 JAPAN special 15kg???

Jay Peterson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 15, 2011, 09:43:31 PM
Seems similar to the Carpenter Blue chaser just longer. Perfect rod for land based fishing using lighter stick baits. I would say it will be a great rod for king fish.

Look forward to a report after you break it in Gavin!

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2012, 03:18:51 AM
Does anyone try RF Big Tuna Japan 710?
Specification are more than interesting, I saw its bend on a picture and I like it, whit its moderate action. I'm looking for a big BFT rod at first, to be used also for medium and light stick bait for GT. Hope someone can give information about.
Thanks
Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:30:36 AM by Antonino Augugliaro

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 02:34:31 AM
Yes did any body try this rod?
Would it be good for yellowfin in panama as well?
And what kind of reel would be right?

Best regards,

Arnout

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2013, 02:01:52 PM
I have caught kingfish and small tuna up to 17kg on this rod, i fished line from pe4 to 8 on it, because of the slow action, the rod actually loads up on pe4, i usually use 18000k stell for this rod although i have also used 10k and it's fine for both reels.

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 12:41:54 AM
Hello Gavin,

Thank you for your reaction.
Now i have a ideay about the rod.

Best regards,

Arnout.