Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Malaysian Fishing Destinations
November 24, 2011, 02:59:02 AM
Johan,

Before you go off gallivanting and flicking frogs and poppers in ponds far and wide around Malaysia, may I please warn you not to do it on your own. Even if you have a partner please exercise extreme caution and I strongly, strongly advise never to fish out at night in a secluded area.

Fishing is one thing, security is another. It is not uncommon to find a protected area that seems fishy and secluded, until you notice a couple of guys on a motorbike approaching you from the middle of no where carrying god-knows-what... They may have the policy of beat you first, rob you second and never ask questions ever.

If you are not local, you will stick out like a sore thumb and be an even easier target.

I would advise to stick to the pay-ponds, of which there are a few worth visiting and which are gated and more secure. Even then, they can be located obscurely and difficult to reach without a GPS/own car.

Getting out to sea on your own in this weather, given that Pekan or Rompin is a 4-5 hour trek by car and you need to find a crew and you need to be in the know to get a boat that won't rip you off and know what they are doing - these are conditions that will be too hard to fulfill on short notice without a local contact or in-depth research I'm afraid.

Sorry to say that fishing in Malaysia is not the same as Thailand.
Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:03:12 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2011, 09:32:10 AM

Fishing is one thing, security is another. It is not uncommon to find a protected area that seems fishy and secluded, until you notice a couple of guys on a motorbike approaching you from the middle of no where carrying god-knows-what... They may have the policy of beat you first, rob you second and never ask questions ever.

Kasey,

Do these guys carry 'Big Numbas' to carry out their Beatings..?

Pete

Narc

November 24, 2011, 11:36:19 AM
You can contact me if its in southern malaysia.
If I can, I'll help in hooking you up.
Regarding whether I am  trustworthy or not, hiak hiak hiak, you be the judge.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2011, 10:38:54 PM

Kasey,

Do these guys carry 'Big Numbas' to carry out their Beatings..?

Pete

Like a Big Numbas beating a garfish mate  :'(

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 01:50:17 AM

If you are not local, you will stick out like a sore thumb and be an even easier target.

I had no idea Malaysia was such a dodgy place. Who robs fishermen?!
I actually know a guy who got mugged in his bivvy while carp fishing. Rediculous...

Malaysia is not an easy place to fish for a stranger, and being from Denmark, I'm as strange as they come ;D
After realising this, I flew up to Krabi in Thailand and checked in to a fishing resort where I caught some nice saimese carp and cats.

Thank you for all your advice guys!

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 01:54:24 AM
You can contact me if its in southern malaysia.
If I can, I'll help in hooking you up.
Regarding whether I am  trustworthy or not, hiak hiak hiak, you be the judge.

Thanks for your offer. I might take you up on it when the sailfish come back.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 08:46:21 AM
http://redhotanglers.blog78.fc2.com/

Give these guys a call, the store is pretty hard to find bet they are a great bunch.

They will be more than happy to take you out to any of the local spots near KL.

Al Morrison

November 25, 2011, 11:59:23 AM
I have to concur with Kasey on the security aspect. A mate of mine was approached exactly as he described, by two blokes with a parang (machete) on the back of a motor bike at a secluded pond. Unfortunatley they were not professionals and made the mistake of taking one step too close with the Parang, wherein a swift jab to the nose left one of them bloodied and dazed on the floor and the other one wishing he had tried to rob someone else. My mate, now armed with the machete then chased them. he then proceeded to carry on fishing, reckoning that the robbers would be too embarrassed to come back for more, even with friends, as they would have to admit what happened. On recounting this story to his company HSSE (second S for Security) he had a number of mistakes he had made pointed out to him. The basic gist was dont fish alone, if attacked give them everything etc etc. he on the other hand prefers the memento machete !

We do fish together in some wild and woolly places, and yeah we are both 6ft 3 plus and yeah we both look over our shoulders these days ... be warned, it isnt perhaps as safe as we would all like.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 01:44:31 PM
Thanks Al, sounds like I have been risking it a bit too much. I have fished around KL for years ( once of twice a year max ) by myself and have never had an issue. Being a giant "orang putih" they may have just given me a wide berth.

The boys from red hot anglers are great blokes and are very happy to show you around some of their local spots if you stop in and have a chat.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 25, 2011, 10:17:55 PM
I have to concur with Kasey on the security aspect. A mate of mine was approached exactly as he described, by two blokes with a parang (machete) on the back of a motor bike at a secluded pond. Unfortunatley they were not professionals and made the mistake of taking one step too close with the Parang, wherein a swift jab to the nose left one of them bloodied and dazed on the floor and the other one wishing he had tried to rob someone else. My mate, now armed with the machete then chased them. he then proceeded to carry on fishing, reckoning that the robbers would be too embarrassed to come back for more, even with friends, as they would have to admit what happened. On recounting this story to his company HSSE (second S for Security) he had a number of mistakes he had made pointed out to him. The basic gist was dont fish alone, if attacked give them everything etc etc. he on the other hand prefers the memento machete !

We do fish together in some wild and woolly places, and yeah we are both 6ft 3 plus and yeah we both look over our shoulders these days ... be warned, it isnt perhaps as safe as we would all like.

I would say that was a rather lucky encounter!

Al Morrison

November 28, 2011, 04:12:47 PM
Ben,

My mate falls into that category too, def an orang putish besar, I'm more the orang putih bizarre. its the only incident i have heard of personally, and it hasnt stopped us, just made us a little more aware of the locations and who is around. We havent camped out at any of these places recently though. Its been a year or two since i fished up there sadly. I miss the Toman hunting, and would gladly take my floaty tube up there for some more of that !!

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 08:11:19 PM
Guys, the rain is pissing like mad on the west coast (Penang, Perak). Not recommended for trips at the moment.

You can come back in January when the weather slows down for West Coast.

Also, can consider Pulau Jarak in the state of Perak.

Cheers.