Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Metals for GTs
March 26, 2007, 12:50:23 PM
Out of curiosity, are lures like large raiders or snipers used when chasing GTs ?

You can get them in heavy weights , change the trebles to singles , skip them over the water or let them sink a bit ,they dont break and are cheap too .....

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Metals for GTs
March 26, 2007, 04:17:24 PM
Have been tried and caught some GT but each time is outfished by those using poppers .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2007, 04:40:17 PM
Is that because poppers stay in the fishing zone for longer or the action of the lure ?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2007, 04:59:13 PM
Is that because poppers stay in the fishing zone for longer or the action of the lure ?

Not really because the metal can be cast a long way over the reefs , for some reason it just failed to attract the attentions of GT , may be the size does matters ?

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 27, 2007, 09:02:46 AM
True, but you cant pause with metals if fishing reefy areas as they will drop into the snags unlike poppers. Maybe it is the size as even a large raider of 125 or 150 grams does not have the same profile as the larger popers.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 27, 2007, 09:51:06 PM
Hi Andrew,

I would say that the technique used to work metals effectively is too fast to invoke strikes from big GTs. Smaller GTs get in on the action and are quicker and more easily stimulated by the faster retrieve ratio and generally strike first - too much work and competition for the bigger boys!. I have always been of the opinion that a slower more deliberate and noisy action draws the strikes from the biggest and baddest GTs. As you have mentioned, the slower and more deliberate you work a metal, the more chance you are of snagging - and you obviously can't make the visual spectacle and noise that a big cup faced popper can.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 07:15:19 AM
there is an American lure called a Ranger made by Roberts Lures which is good for GTs. It's simply cast out and retrieved fast where it skips over the surface. I haven't got any yet myself but am looking at getting some of these. The lure is about 6 inches long and weighs around 3 ounces.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 08:27:22 AM
Just had a look at them, are they spoon shaped or something to cause them to stay more towards the surface ?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 11:18:46 AM
there is an American lure called a Ranger made by Roberts Lures which is good for GTs. It's simply cast out and retrieved fast where it skips over the surface. I haven't got any yet myself but am looking at getting some of these. The lure is about 6 inches long and weighs around 3 ounces.

I have got a couple courtesy an American friend , tried on YFT and GT and still yet to hook something , may be I am not doing it right though , will try them again next time .

Jon .