g.milinovich

Popping around Yeppoon
July 08, 2011, 10:24:08 PM
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am headed up to Yeppoon later this week, for a week or so, and was hoping to do a bit of popping while I am up there. I know the area quite well, but have only started popping after I had an opportunity to spend a month in the Torres Strait recently. I do not have access to a boat, but do have a 4wd. I was hoping some locals would be able to advise me on where to visit to do some land based popping. I had 5 rocks in mind, but other than this do not have too much of an idea where to go.

Thanks in advance.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Popping around Yeppoon
July 08, 2011, 10:36:26 PM
Gabriel, I think 5 rocks is the best, and almost only, land based option around yeppoon where you could actually be in with a shot at a GT or Spano.  Can't think of details but I believe there was some blokes a whole ago who were land based popping around Gladstone maybe?  There's plenty of rocky headlands around yeppoon locally but none of them id be confident recommending as a likely option besides 5 rocks.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 09, 2011, 10:59:35 PM
Probably worth a look at Stockyard Point Corio Heads as well. Should be plenty of big queenfish and a chance of GT. Fish smaller poppers or any size stickbait for queenies. Try nth side of 5rocks half way out and them out to point.

g.milinovich

July 10, 2011, 09:16:11 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Will let you know how it works out.

Andrew Cox

July 10, 2011, 11:17:44 AM
Good luck would like to hear how you get on to, if the water is dirty dont let that put you off as the GTs up there dont mind it at all, more than likely it will be but give it a good crack as it is most of the time.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 11, 2011, 06:25:14 PM
Just got home today (yeppoon) and the water is crystal clear, nothing like a westerly breeze to clean the water up. The only thing that worries me is that i feel the popping isn't that great here with water that's too clean.
5 rocks is probably the go, I have got a smaller gt out of a kayak there (10-15kg) and Travis has had a big spano do some areals after a popper.
With the water clean I would recommend corio heads on the outgoing tide where the water runs out of the bay past the headland. I've always thought it would be a good spot but never tried it.

Let us know how you go Gabriel, keen to hear!

g.milinovich

July 11, 2011, 08:12:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Warwick. I have not been to the spot you mention, but looks like it is worth a shot.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 08:04:02 AM
I will be up at Yeppoon for a couple of days in September.

Does anyone know if there is good fishing in the harbour/marina?

Cheers,

Chris

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 08:14:41 AM
I don't know about good - there's always people having a go though.  I'd say it'd be like any northern marina, bream, some jacks and trevs maybe - i think it would be a while between drinks if using jigs and GT poppers though  ;)