Ralph Holland

lures or equipment
June 24, 2011, 05:32:05 AM
I'm planning a trip for New Caledonie next year. I like to know what is the best investment in GT tackle.

I already bought a TBL80/20 and stella 5000xh (JDM). I know it's a (to) light combo for this destination. Is it a better idea to buy high end lures and rent the rod and reel on board?

And what about line, fighting belt and other stuff I may need?

Many thanks in advance and sorry about my poor english

Ralph Holland

Re: lures or equipment
July 01, 2011, 03:20:25 AM
nobody can help me?

David East

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 01, 2011, 12:07:00 PM
I myself have never caught a GT so I really can't be any help.I suppose everybody else is out fishin.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2011, 01:43:14 PM
Ralph, the reason you haven't gotten a response is your question is so broad that no one really wants to get started on what would be a very lengthy response.

If you take the time to read the forum, you will get a pretty good idea. Just reading the guides I have written on lures, rods, connections and rigs would get you a reasonable way there.

You will be completely outgunned with your current outfit which is way too light for GTs. In terms of whether you should buy or rent, only you an make that decision.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
July 01, 2011, 03:07:08 PM
If I maybe so bold as to give you some advice.

I have just started tropical fishing and have done several 1-2day trips to Malaysia for sails, macs etc etc.  light jigging and casting upto 100g  and from this I am building up to a proper GT trip.  I am lucky to have a coupla of experienced mentors.

I wouldn't go to NC on my first GT trip as you would probably waste the first 4-5 days of any trip getting up to speed.  These trips are expensive and the fishing is brutal.  I wouldn't turn up never having casted or worked 150g + lures so for me it would be important to get the equipment in place before I went on such a trip.  Its very very different to the surf casting and light lure (european bass) that I have done.

I do alot of scuba diving and we often get people ask should they go to this destination or that destination which are equivalent to everest in the diving world.  I always tell them to build experience so when they are ready for everest they  will enjoy it and not waste the experience.  Its what I am trying to do for my fishing - rather than going straight for summit.

I don't think you would get much change out of US10k getting properly set up for a trip like NC and do it justice

Take my words with a pinch of salt as I am only just getting started.

Graham