Andrew Williams

Reel ?
June 19, 2011, 11:19:06 AM
What are some less expensive reels that you always use to catch GT's on?  I mean a reel that is not a stella or Saltiga:)  Thanks

Josh Stuckey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reel ?
June 19, 2011, 01:13:29 PM
I used a saltist 6500 in Fiji at Christmas time, landed a 17kg gt but broke the handle shaft on the main gear in the process. I continued to use the reel for another week, just had to make sure the side screw was tightened, in fact I only found out it was broken when I removed the handle for some reason. I was using 80lb braid and a very stiff drag. Daiwa replaced it on the spot when I returned.

I've landed a heap of kings to 85cm since without an issue.

I'd use the reel again on a future trip but limit it to 60lb line.

Just my limited opinion, others will vastly disagree.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 19, 2011, 06:56:21 PM
hmmm ... less expensive ......

there are shimano old twinpower 8000HG model . 
i have heard one of guy who fish with nomad has caught a 90kg dogtooth tuna from this reel
oh man he is a lucky man

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 19, 2011, 09:15:21 PM
Have a look at a Saragosa 14k or 18k. Same price bracket as the saltist 6500.  I have had the 18k model for a little while and am happy with it so far. Haven't been able to test it on any GTs yet, only seem to be able to find spanish. Handled spanish upto 50lb with out any dramas.

Callan Wallace

June 20, 2011, 05:32:42 AM
Saragosa 18000 with upgraded drag by Smoothdrag makes for a good affordable GT reel. Landed up to 35kg GT's with it. 3 years old and still going strong.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 21, 2011, 08:16:15 AM
Twinpower SW 12K as my backup - taken plenty of Dogtooth Tuna between 25-48KG :)

Dean Gold

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 21, 2011, 09:32:00 AM
Does anyone use Penn reels?

I have a Penn 8500 spin fisher with carbontex drag upgrade running 80 lb braid. It is a bit agricultural (very actually) but I have winched in some enormous sharks with it and I can't imagine that I could ever brake it.

Rob Soulsby NZ

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 26, 2011, 07:19:43 PM
Have a Shim Spheros that has done well onm GTS to 25kgs and a Saragosa Its a nicer reel but... the main housing broke on 27kgs GT It was repalced free by Shimano.. Its a nice reels For a cost effiective option try the Spheros and upgrade drag w carbonex washers. Tried a Penn 950 ss while the saragosa was done and they are agricultural so sold it pronto!!

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 26, 2011, 07:54:13 PM
Andrew if you are going to use the reel to target powerful fish like GT's you are just going to pay twice anything that is cheap like a Spheros might be alright for a couple of fish but it will break and then you will have wished you just went out and bought a Stella or saltiga from the start i know i did what you are trying to do now i bought a Spheros caught 2 yellow fin around the 25kg mark next fish pulled the shaft and that was the end of that reel  i was only using 8kg of drag with 50lb braid and the reel was upgraded with carbontex drag and extra bearing you get what you pay for mate.
A  Twinpower 12000SW will prob do the job but if your going to spend that much spend a little more and you could buy the best "STELLA" ;)