Chris Thomas

Whats your favourite Sydney Jig?
June 28, 2011, 09:11:40 AM
I jig at the 12 mile quite a bit and donated plenty of lead to the leather gods.  What are your favourite jigs there?  If there are leathers around I use a small sea rock around 300gms in blue.  Its cheap and if you keep it moving I don't seem to lose too many.  They don't make it any more but I have a small stockpile from whenever I see them on a clearance!  Blue is my favourite.  If there are heaps of rats and no leathers I pull out the Smith Nagamasa 400, I have often pulled a 7 or 8 kilo king out of the rats soon after putting this on.  Being centre weighted the leathers love it so use it wisely.  Another favourite is the Fisherman Andaman I think around the 280 gram.  I have pulled some nice fish with this when it has been quiet as well but they are expensive as well.  Caught a lot of Dollies at the fads with this as well.  Trick to Dollies being a really fine guage assist hook to get penetration as they are good at throwing them.  I also found they were useful for getting the fish up, you could have a livey on top with no actions, the jigs could get them fired up, I would drop to around 50 metres, they could still be fussy but it seemed to be easier to switch them to the livey then.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whats your favourite Sydney Jig?
June 28, 2011, 10:09:54 AM
Hi Chris,

Mate i like to use Hot's Keitan and Hots Otoko jigs.

They are bloody expensive but work a treat. I like Pink and Silver.

If there are jackets around i just use the cheapest bottom weighted jigs in my bag and keep them moving as fast as i can.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 28, 2011, 04:31:16 PM
I like the smith Nagamasa in the 230 and 280, both pink and blue.  I always do a couple of test drops with some cheapies first to check for jackets (you generally know from the sounder whether they are there or not though).

If they are around, then I go for some cheap bottom weighted jigs like williamson abyss and bring out the high ratio reels, keep em moving flatout - and switch to a heavier FC leader (check it for nicks after each drop too)!

I also like the Smith Jack knife in the deeper water 300 gram in pink and blue.

Chris Thomas

June 28, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
I like. Nagamasa in the straight silver colour or blue across the top with limo on the bottom strip. It is funny what colours you get hooked on. Centre weighted on kings is my preference when it is a good day on the water.  I have a jack knife but I don't think I have used it yet. Also a side thruster but I haven't had a leather free day for a while so haven't been game to bring much of the nice stuff out.