Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Whats the best stick bait
July 15, 2011, 04:45:56 PM
Looking at all the different stick baits in 120 to 200 gram avalible what are most using for Gts .

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Re: Whats the best stick bait
July 15, 2011, 06:30:42 PM
Tony - Thats kind of a "how long is a piece of string" question..... as I know most people will have a widely differing opinion and all have personal favourites...

I'm gonna take a guess and say the best stickbait is probably the one you don't have in your bag, but your buddy who you are fishing with has tied on and is proceeding to whip the GT's with while you feel like you're just practising your casting!!! 8)
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2011, 08:32:03 PM
The best one is the one you can't afford ;D ;D
Allanchl

Ludovic Goldschmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2011, 08:22:31 AM
tony,

for me, best stickbait surface is the carpenter gamma 160 and sub surface the big foot orion 180 .if you can find them,very very good lures ....
ludo

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 16, 2011, 09:43:55 AM
If you had to pick one....that was a balance of sensible pricing,availability,performance and all round toughness it would have to be the Orions.
Bigfoot and Numbas for me.

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 16, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
To be frank, the best stickbait is the one you can work best and in the most lifelike manner. A lot of people think of the Carpenter Gamma straight away but only a small handful of people can work the lure the way it was designed to swim. For most, the resulting action is a rather ungainly quasi-pencil popper action. If this is the action you get with a Gamma, then clearly, it is not the best stickbait for you.

Eric Le Guyader can get his Big Nambas swimming with an action I just can't seem to imitate. Eric is of course a very talented angler and could work any lure but he is magic with his own stickbaits.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2011, 06:57:07 PM
while on the topic of orions can someone tell me the desired retrieve for the bigfoot, crazy dog, and nabas?

for the bigfoot, i just let it sink to desired depth, and soft subtle sweeps. anything too extreme and i find the action is unatural, the softer the retrieve, the better the lure "walks" from side to side. am i on the right track?

cheers
Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:07:45 PM by Gavin Ng

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 16, 2011, 07:09:33 PM
while on the topic of orions can someone tell me the desired retrieve for the bigfoot, crazy dog, and nabas?

for the bigfoot, i just let it sink to desired depth, and soft subtle sweeps. anything too extreme and i find the action is unatural, the softer the retrieve, the better the lure "walks" from side to side. am i on the right track?

cheers

Sounds good to me Gavin.. but the 'right track' is whatever the fish are responding to on the day. You might have to vary your retrieve depending on how the fish are feeding and the conditions. In some cases a more unatural action could draw more interest.