Andrew Cox

Chesterfield Islands Who's Been There ?
June 30, 2011, 02:57:21 PM
I have been very lucky to get aboard a 14 day adventure next year to the Chesterfield Islands, they are located around 600km west of the northern tip of New Caledonia, we will have a full 9-10 days out there jigging, popping and trolling for monster doggies, GTs and many other species I would imaging.
The big question is has anyway been out there ? would love to hear from anyone that has.

Cheers Andrew

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Chesterfield Islands Who's Been There ?
June 30, 2011, 04:03:34 PM
Steve from Swordfish Marine in Auckland has been. I am part of a group going next year also, can't wait.

Andrew Cox

June 30, 2011, 04:07:38 PM
Steve from Swordfish Marine in Auckland has been. I am part of a group going next year also, can't wait.

That's who I am going with, what trip are you on, someone from this forum must have been they but it is rather remote, cant wait to get stuck into those big doggies !

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2011, 04:34:49 PM
Andrew,

We are going 24th August.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2011, 01:44:33 PM
Hope you have good weather otherwise it is going to be hell on earth getting out there!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Cox

July 02, 2011, 12:39:52 PM
Hope you have good weather otherwise it is going to be hell on earth getting out there!

Lets just say we are not looking forward to the 40 hour ride out, all I can think about is the 9-10 days fishing we have out there and what is waiting for us when we get there  ;D

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 02, 2011, 03:03:49 PM
Andrew,

Looking at the chart there is some really interesting reef structure on the way to Chesterfield. Including what looks like a rock that comes up out of 2000m. Hopefully we can have a flick or a drop there too.

Andrew Cox

July 02, 2011, 04:03:20 PM
Andrew,

Looking at the chart there is some really interesting reef structure on the way to Chesterfield. Including what looks like a rock that comes up out of 2000m. Hopefully we can have a flick or a drop there too.

Hi Stu

From 2000m  ;D I would hate to think what might be hanging of that, would be good to jig, troll and pop that for a few's hours to break up the trip if the weather allows, I am sure we will pick a fish or two up on the way.

I am on the trip before you guys so will give you a full report as soon as I get back to Aussie in case you need more gear in a hurry !

Cheers Coxy

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2011, 01:03:13 PM
out of control, are there any spots left on any of these trips? Who do I get in contact with? There was a trip trying to get off the ground for earlier this year and it didn't get off the ground, but it was at a bad time for me anyway....would love to get out there and fish it, so remote

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 03, 2011, 03:43:14 PM
Steve from Swordfish Marine in Auckland is the guy to talk to. www.swordfishmarine.co.nz

Andrew Cox

July 03, 2011, 04:48:24 PM
out of control, are there any spots left on any of these trips? Who do I get in contact with? There was a trip trying to get off the ground for earlier this year and it didn't get off the ground, but it was at a bad time for me anyway....would love to get out there and fish it, so remote

As of last week we still had one spot free, if interested PM me for more details.

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 03, 2011, 05:23:45 PM
Are there any reports from the chesterfields? They sound very remote. Do they get pro fished?

Aaron Concord

July 03, 2011, 08:18:10 PM
Damon and I contemplated barging past Kenn Reef for the Chesterfields in a red-wine induced map gazing session in 2006.
I thought, since we needed Passports to enter this French area would be as easy as calling my French missus back in Oz.......yep......drunk isn't the word for our grandiose ideas that night :)

The fact that is IS so far out just taunted us..........I have never seen any reports of recreational trips out there though we figured what we were catching/filming around Kenn/Fredrick/Marion reefs would be a pretty good idea on species..........as for sizes and quantity, who knows until you've been???

Any one seen a rec.report done on this place??

Cheers

Aaron.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2011, 10:52:37 PM
Any one seen a rec.report done on this place??

I have  ;) Tried digging it up but haven't been able to find it.

Was mainly a trolling trip from memory, but some absolutely mammoth sized doggies were tamed  :-[

Sounds like an epic place to fish  8)

Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 03, 2011, 11:15:14 PM
Found an article from Matt Watson when he went there in 2007.
http://www.fishing.net.nz/index.cfm/pageid/57/view/yes/editorialID/691