Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coral viper equivalent
June 22, 2011, 08:04:21 PM
Hi Tak

In leiu of finding a cv on the mkt, what in your opinion is the nearest carpenter equivalent?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Coral viper equivalent
June 22, 2011, 09:01:51 PM
It'd be between the DJ series and MH80 or VW for a heavier version I would say.
AKA: Sunny

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 22, 2011, 09:49:01 PM
Hi Tak

In leiu of finding a cv on the mkt, what in your opinion is the nearest carpenter equivalent?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Hi Mick,

All carpenter rods are built on specific purpose and it is hard to tell equivalent rod in a range. There maybe alternative depending on the purpose you are thinking with Coral Viper.

Cheers,
Tak

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 22, 2011, 10:01:43 PM
there is no rod which is very similar to the Coral Viper in the range which is hardly surprising. As Tak said, depending on what you want the rod for, there may be alternatives. You could get away with a SP80M as an alternative although this rod has a faster and firmer action. The MH80H has a profile that has some similarity but it is a bit stronger in terms of its action. I suppose even an EP82 or a TBL711 could be an alternative depending on what you want to use it for.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 08:28:31 AM
Thanks Brandon/Tak

Apologie....s I should have been more specific in requesting advice.

Like similar posts, I'm after the impossible.....an "ultimate compromise" set up. I "may" have some opportunity in the nxt 12 months to get back to Oman, a trip to Fiji (both for GT's) and/or NZ for kings. My preference is a set up for GT's 1st, kings 2nd with a leaning towards a stick bait rod that can also handle smaller poppers. From research on this site, the Coral Viper appears a reasonable solution(?). Not after a broom stick but can fish PE8-10 (match to Stella 10000/18000SW).

Am I still too broad in scope?

thanks for your help

Mick

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 09:31:41 AM
I use a DJ83MH and it covers all the bases you are after. Beautiful for stickbaits to 160g and poppers under 150g. Casts a country mile as well. I have mine oaired up with a 18000sw Stella and the combo is a pleasure to use.

If you are in Brisbane I would be happy for you to have a play with mine and cast a few lures.

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 12:53:18 PM
Mick - I'll send you PM to collect a bit more information.

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 08:34:47 PM
Thanks all for your help

Cheers

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 26, 2011, 10:15:09 PM
Hi Michael,

Just to let you know Fish Head are receiving a very limited shipment of Coral Viper rods this week.  You can see them by going to www.fishhead.com.au

As everyone knows this is a highly sought after rod and there is no way of know when the next production run will happen.

If anyone is interested PM me and I will send you photos.  Very cool GT decal on this edition.

Regards,

Janelle

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

mark gaal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 02, 2011, 07:54:11 PM
Better hurry, there is one less CV at Global, and one less endless passion. Why not , I got zip for xmas. Cannot wait to put the EP to use.