Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Saltiga Dogfight....
November 23, 2007, 08:15:25 AM
Aaron, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Upgrade the drag with carbontex on a DF or any Saltiga spinning reel for that matter and the difference is like chalk and cheese. I haven't had a drag stick since the washers were changed even under heavy pressure. In fact, it's really smooth.

I believe that out of the box, the Stella has a better drag system and overall, it is a better drag anyway with the twin drag system but I've had the Saltigas up to some really brutal levels and the carbontex has been smooth as silk.

The stated maximum drag capacity of both reels is academic. I've never seen any fishing even close to that level!

I'll also make the point that the Yumeya spool is a superior spool to the 10000 and 16000 - it's not just bling.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 23, 2007, 08:28:20 AM
Aaron, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Upgrade the drag with carbontex on a DF or any Saltiga spinning reel for that matter and the difference is like chalk and cheese. I haven't had a drag stick since the washers were changed even under heavy pressure. In fact, it's really smooth.

I believe that out of the box, the Stella has a better drag system and overall, it is a better drag anyway with the twin drag system but I've had the Saltigas up to some really brutal levels and the carbontex has been smooth as silk.

The stated maximum drag capacity of both reels is academic. I've never seen any fishing even close to that level!

I'll also make the point that the Yumeya spool is a superior spool to the 10000 and 16000 - it's not just bling.

The point I was making is that you don't need to replace anything to make it work - the 10k spool is fine for 95% of purposes.

Fancy buying a new car and having to go get brakes added because the standard is shit!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 23, 2007, 02:59:12 PM
Fancy buying a new car and having to go get brakes added because the standard is shit!

You mean like on most fords or holdens  ;D

Aaron Concord

November 26, 2007, 08:01:04 PM
Brandon,
I think you mistook me their...when the DF is upgraded with Carbontex there is 2/5ths bugger all difference between the Saltigaa & Stellas...
The extra Bling I have seen in handles & spools is enormous...most are worthwhile if you have the dough...a nice power handle is my favourite...

GO CARBON....THE BEST THERE IS FOR GT BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Is it just me, or do I hear fish chopping!"

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 26, 2007, 10:09:47 PM
sorry Aaron - my mistake.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 28, 2007, 04:55:30 PM
Hi Brandon. Where do you get the carbontex drag washers for the Dogfight from? Also how long do you think they will last with average fishing say popping every fortnight or so with mostly 20kg fish and an occasional 40kg or so one thrown in. I have 2 Stella 10000 reels but am willing to give the Dogfight a shot as the third reel if all that is needed is a drag update. Either that or a Stella 20000 with an aftermarket handle knob. One last question. How do you think the Dogfight or Expedition would pair up with a Carpenter Wild Violence or Super Popping 78 UHL? Appreciate the help.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2007, 09:10:14 AM
Sachin, I tend to get mine from a store in Singapore but from where you are, the easiest is mail order from Smoooth Drag. They are very efficient and you can pay online. Try http://www.smoothdrag.com/

In terms of washer life, I can't tell you I think would need a few years to be able to comment on this. I do servcie the drag of my reels after every trip and what I can say is I have not noticed any wear on them to date. When it comes to a choice of reels, it really is a personal thing. I cannot say that I think the 10000 is a superior reel to the Saltiga and vice versa. They will both do the job.

The Dogfight will pair up as well as any with any popping rod. I don't generally use my WV but I do run the Dogfight on my SP78-UHL.

While you can use the 20000 or Expedition for popping, you just have to work that little bit harder. It's not really a problem but if it is a lure that needs to be worked fast, it can be hard work. It is a compromise - if the reel is primarily for popping, I'd suggest the faster ratio reel but if you wanted to use it primarily for jigging, then I'd opt for the lower ratio reel.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2007, 01:14:23 PM
Guys ,

You can get carbontex drag washers from Jack Erskine , you will need to tell him the O.D. / I.D. and the thickness of the drag washer you need for each reel . Carbontex is the way to go , Daiwa stock washers caused 2 of our Z4500s to break at the stem while fishing at 6 kg initial drag set fishing YFT . Daiwa has repaired those reels but we have demoted it to handle 50 lbs line now , no more PE6 line for those reels anymore lest we break them again .

Jack Erskine
E-mail Address(es):
  [email protected]

Got mine from Jack Earkine thru a friend who lives in Caloundra .

Jon .
Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:20:24 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 29, 2007, 06:08:51 PM
I'd have to say Jack is THE MAN when it comes to drag upgrades & generally tweeking the last bit of drag out of any reel, all my baitcasters have Jacks upgrades & I think I'll have to get some for DF & 6000, plus he is a pleasure to do business with, a true living legend IMO

Aaron Concord

November 29, 2007, 08:43:45 PM
Sachin,

I run a 10000 FA Stella with a 20000 spool full of 130lb #10 PE Varivas Avani GT braid over my Carpenter Supa Popping 78-UHL.....great outfit with a truckload more line (since the 20000 has a larger capacity) and its a faster retrieve since the spool is larger....a true big fish outfit that balances well, considering the drag you can run over it and the animals you are trying to stop with it!

Jack Erskine is a real gentle man...makes awesome drags and reel modifications...I have had fly, spin, baitcaster and leverdrag reels worked on by him...all been worth it IMO!!

Jon, you snapped the stems on those reels with only that amount of drag????
Anyone else had any problems...I was going to buy on to fill with 50-70lb for wahoo....

Cheers

Aaron.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2007, 10:25:05 PM

Jon, you snapped the stems on those reels with only that amount of drag????
Anyone else had any problems...I was going to buy on to fill with 50-70lb for wahoo....

Cheers

Aaron.

Hi Aaron ,

To put the salt on the wound , the YFT that broke the reel was only 12+ kg speciment on both cases , Daiwa did not want to discuss what happened there but we bought the reel early when Z4500/Z4000 came out . I stick to Stella 6000/8000 for the task nowaday .
I have the mpeg video of the instances when the 2nd Saltiga Z4500 broke .

On Carbontex , Jack sent me a set of washers for my old n trusty STL16000F to test in 2004 , now all the 6 spools of my STL16000F and STL10000PG have carbontex washers in them and still have 1 spare set , the latter supply came thru K.K.Kingston .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

lonhro

November 29, 2007, 10:29:37 PM
Isn't it over kill on a Stella ???? or does it make a real difference and how ??? I dont understand ???

Che Carson

November 29, 2007, 10:40:02 PM
I would never take a knife to a gun fight so I'll only ever use Saltigas when fishing the heavy stuff ;D!

lonhro

November 29, 2007, 11:14:56 PM
Che have you guys had to fix any Saltigas in shop or Stella's. If so what went wrong.

Jon has just told us what type of weapon the Daiwa Z4500's are. one word comes to mind

SPOON  :o 

worse than a knife