Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Double Island Point
June 28, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
Hi All

A question for those with some local knowledge of Double Is Point..............I am heading up to Inskip (whats left of it now!!) for a week and would like to do a couple of trips out to Double Is for a sticky beak more than anything. So would it be worthwhile taking some gear to throw around? Bearing in mind I am an extreme novice to GT fishing and have just the one outfit. (Saltist 80TN & Stella 8000).

From the learning I have been doing, areas around a headland are a likely option, but I'm not really sure on the particular areas of a headland, or whether it would be a viable option for that area.

Thanks muchly for any advice.

Cheers, Rhet

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Double Island Point
June 29, 2011, 10:33:01 AM
When are you heading up..?

Not really the time for Sticky faces but always a small chance of a winter straggler.

GT's are caught up at Double but mostly smaller fish up to say 6-7kg.

Good destination for reef fish,Jew,Longtails,etc at this time of year.

Pete

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 29, 2011, 02:50:55 PM
G'day Pete

Heading up for the last week of July. Will have boat with new motor to run in.

Any idea if the recent washout has effected Fishermans Gutter?

Cheers.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 29, 2011, 06:34:36 PM
Gives the poppers a shot up there but take the snapper soft plastic set ups also.

Some very nice snapper being caught at DI at the moment.

Not sure on the effects of the washout.?

Pete

Aaron Concord

June 29, 2011, 08:45:11 PM
Rhet,

DI's most famous bit of Terra firrma, Wolf Rock, had some moose sized GT's living there.
Unfortunately, the "rock" is closed off due to the 'Grey Nurse Shark protection' debacle.
Fortunately, GT's do move/patrol, so it's still worth peppering the headland, though this time of year you are more likely to get the smaller 6-10kg models as Pete said, or yellowtail kingies and the odd jumbo tailor too.
Summer time is when it cranks for pelagics though it is still worth a go if the blue water is running past the headland.

Cheers

Aaron.

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 05, 2011, 06:22:54 AM
Thanks guys, I will certainly take the effort to get across to DI and throw some poppers/stickbaits around.

Are there better stages of the tide that would be more effective than others.....

Aaron, you mention when the bluewater is running past. Do you mean this literally, as the tide is pushing in bringing clean water?

Pete, the snapper you talk of............are you implying reefs off DI or in around the headland itself?

Thanks for you advice.

Cheers, Rhet

Aaron Concord

July 06, 2011, 10:33:54 AM
Rhet,

DI is lucky enough on most occasions to have a good southerly current run in along it from Rainbow Beach.
It wraps around the headland and compresses between Wolf Rock and the headland itself.
Its the East Australia Current.
It's far more reliable (and stronger) in summer time, though I have been there in August and there has been blue 21.5 degree water right against the rocks.  21.5 in August in close is warm!
Only a few days of SW-W-NW can stuff this up.  Ant Westerly will push the current offshore and it will be replaced by green tea...........it happens along much of SE QLD and Northern NSW during winter.
Tides can affect the amount of current too.  New and Full moon cycles give the most current by far.

Aaron.

Aaron.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2011, 08:06:01 PM
Thanks guys, I will certainly take the effort to get across to DI and throw some poppers/stickbaits around.

Are there better stages of the tide that would be more effective than others.....

Aaron, you mention when the bluewater is running past. Do you mean this literally, as the tide is pushing in bringing clean water?

Pete, the snapper you talk of............are you implying reefs off DI or in around the headland itself?

Thanks for you advice.

Cheers, Rhet

Rhet,

Both to be honest...

The reefs will see more action but plenty of nice squire and snapper in close even land based.

Cheers,
Pete