Andrew Cox

Recommended Stickbaits/Poppers For Doggies
July 07, 2011, 09:07:50 PM
Hi Guys

I am very new to the stickbait and popper side of things just wanted some information on what guys use that have targeted mainly doggies,  I have a big trip planed which is just over a year away so just wanted to start collecting a few now so it doesn't hurt the pocket later.
Only really prepared to spend around $50 per lure as more than likely they will hardly see the water again, I am sure there is plenty out there that would do the job for around that price.

Also is there a special hook setup used for doggies ?

If there is already a link in regards to this somewhere please point me in the direction of it I am sure it has come up before.

Cheers Andrew

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've had two doggies follow surface offerings, one was a pink and white Orion Bigfoot stickbait, didn't get a hit....the other was a pumpkin head Full Scale Kong which the fish followed all the way to the boat and sideswiped almost at the side, missing the hooks and nearly head butting the boat

So.....I don't really know the answer to your question at all :D

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Doggies stay in the range of 40-60m under water, to use stickbaits or poppers will be a tough job, I jig for them.
Allanchl

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Doggie are very much a by-catch. I've never targeted them specifically on the surface and the very small number I have hooked have taken lures meant for GTs.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Anyone tried Carpenter Pandora lure yet when targetting deep dwelling fish ?

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Anyone tried Carpenter Pandora lure yet when targetting deep dwelling fish ?

Jon .

Good point
I am certain that GTs lures like the Pandora and Bigfoot 230 that are designed to work the depths would be effective on doggies.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Would anyone that has caught on Dogtooth on a surface lure care to elaborate on the fight compared with an equivalent sized GT? Most doggies are caught on jigs and it's difficult to make a comparison.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
A doggie on the surface is more akin to a YTK rather than a GT. Just manic and speed - but they run out of puff faster than a GT. They're incredibly fast in comparison

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I concur, the the first run is amazing and pound for pound outclassing the GT on this first burst. Different to the GT so difficult to compare as it is less drawn out at least on medium sized dogs. I am not experienced with the bigger dogs though.
Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:18:05 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Weirdly my only doggies were on stickbaits - Smith Baby Runboh did the job in a sardine colour (floating) but it was a mega rough day with huge swells - I guess they wanted to come up in the rough!

Had 5 that day to 49KG on PE6 outfit - great fun :) the biggest literally took the lure dangled over the side of the boat - I was sorting a tangle on my leader and the lure was in the water behind the boat - still had the bail arm open when the line started to shoot out ... do I / don't I? deep breath ... flipped it back over and fortunately the drag was set low enough to prevent a snap off ...

Tackle was Twinpower 12K HG, Lamiglas PE6 Popping Rod, Tufline 65lb, 120lb twisted leader folded back to make a 4 way bite length ...

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Guys in Madagasscar catch them often and target them on stickbaits , they tease them up with a live bonita then throw Orions bigfoot and Heru - wahoo stickbaits to them .seems to work well over there . normal baker rig set up .

Andrew Cox

Thanks for all the advice guys I will begin shopping, I just wish the trip was this year and not next.

Aaron Concord

Andrew,

I guess the biggest thing would be to fish an area that hasn't been flogged to death.
Doggies are a bugger at learning quickly!

Out at Wreck, Kenn and Marion Reefs, doggies were happy to come out of water up to 90m deep to smack a stick bait.  These reefs, particularly Marion at the time, had little pressure on the doggies.

They would also kill a popper as well, though stick baits worked at a ratio of around 6:1 I reckon.
Even in water you would normally start to jig, it is well worth punching out a stick bait and see if they will come to the top.  It was crazy how even jigs presented to them in their face were rejected though 50kg of doggie would race to the top to kill a 160 Gamma.........it made for some cool video!

Lures......Orion Nambas and Big Foots, 160 Gammas, 150 Heru Wahoos and Uluas.........there's a start anyway.

As Brandon and Andy said, they differ in fight to a GT.
Their speed alone is something to see.  Even 15-20kg models will slam you into the transom!
If you can survive the mad downward dash that sees them sprint along the contours of the bottom, you are in with a chance.............next step is pumping them up before the sharks get them.

On stick baits, they are THE pinnacle fish of top water luring,in my mind.

Cheers

Aaron.