• Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on sunglasses
July 13, 2011, 08:55:31 PM
I was gifted some recently, their tip top! =]
Maui Jims all the way

craig breadsell

July 13, 2011, 09:16:51 PM
I wear and have worn Mako's and Spotters and Maui Jim's over the years. The original Mako's I bought lasted over 4 years working outdoors, yacht racing and on gameboats, currently I wear Maui Jim's for driving, Mako's for fishing. However if I had to buy a new set I would be looking at Spotters or Maui's.

I am currently working in a tackle shop and the service/ repair service of both these companies is excellent in oz.

The other thing I do is drill a small hole and splice 130lb dacron on as my strap. I find there are no knots etc to cause headaches.. ( I have never lost a set wiring marlin etc or working 80ft up a mast yet with this simple strap..)

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2011, 09:22:01 PM
I was gifted some recently, their tip top! =]
Maui Jims all the way

Swear by them! Had 4 pairs in as many months at one point;

1. Lost at pub
2. Destroyed in Mountain bike crash
3. 13 month old son disposed of in bin (with 2 remote controls)

Wife very cranky....back pocket even crankier!

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2011, 06:32:21 PM
Aloha.  Over the years I have used  Costas, Raybans, Oakley, and Maui Jims. For fishing  I currently use Oakley Polarized Black Iridium Half Jackets, Maui Jim Sandbar in Bronze, Maui Jim Longboard in Grey, and Maui Jim Kapalua in Bronze for driving/everyday use.  The Oakleys are the best for my face shape in keeping the light out of the top and sides so they get the most use on the water.  The Maui Jims are really light, especially the Kapalua.

David Lorenzato

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2011, 09:39:01 PM
hey guys, can anybody recommend a shop in sydney that has costa del mar sunnies for sale?

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 10:12:09 AM
Hi Paul ,
Glad to see someone bring this subject up, as for me, I feel it is a very important one as a fisherman to protect your eyes, as your eyes are your life.  Not only protection but glasses are what I think are the number one tool for success on the water. I too like all the comments above have gone through all the same brands as listed above over the years and can now say that i have found a brand of glasses that I have 100% confidence in. The Australian based brand 'OTIS'. I found this brand after doing alot of online and in store research. As I spend more than 50% of my week on the water i'm pretty confident in putting this out there as these are buy far one of the best glasses you will find on the market. These glasses are quoted as having a high quality, optically correct mineral glass lens, I now own three pairs of these glasses, two in the 'Big Deal' style (Polarised Photochromic lens, the lens contrast changes according to the ambient sunlight intensity) in the black and amber lens which i find ideal for my different fishing scenarios and a pair of '7Seventy's' (just a straight polarised lens) just for my general day use. Since buying these glasses, alot of my mates have made the switch from the the likes of Spotters and Costa Del Mar in which 'we' all rated highly. These glasses are backed buy a 12month no questioned asked replacement warranty, and as i recently just found out after backing over a pair in the car, for a small cost, they gladly replaced a set after the warranty period for me. I sent them to head office and they replaced them and returned them within that same week. Pretty good customer service i think. I don't think OTIS quote the lens as being 100% scratch proof, but i am yet to put a mark on a pair.  However they do come with a price tag, I think i payed just over $300 for my last pair of Big Deal's and that was on sale. Here's a link to their website. Be interested to hear if anyone else is using them? I have no affiliations with this company and this is my on own honest opinion.
http://otiseyewear.com/lenses/polarised-photochromic

Big Deal, Amber lens

Big Deal, Black lens

7Seventies

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 11:06:28 AM
Looks the goods Dale, saw them here for $169.95 http://www.justsunnies.com.au/m_otis_sunglasses/big_deal.php seems a lot cheaper than what you paid?

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2011, 05:16:04 PM
Hey Jay,
Shit that's ridiculously cheap, I did pay that for my 7seventies but definitely not my big deals. Nearly worth buying another pair.

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2011, 05:43:42 PM
Hey Jay,
 Just rechecked those glasses and the pair at $169 are just polarised,  not the polarised photochromic. I sent them an email and the photochromic which i own are still $300. If you check the product code on the otis website and match it up with the ones advertised at the end of the code there is 45-1001 (just straight glass ), 45-1008p(1 P, just polarised ) and the 45-1008pp (two PP, polarised photochromic). That makes the pair of my big deal's both copper polarised photochromic,(just checked the boxes) one of which pair was the pair i broke and they replaced for me for $80.

Kurt Wilson

July 20, 2011, 12:01:24 AM
Has anybody tried RayBan polarised glasses? reasonably priced and haha 'super stylish'.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 08:34:56 AM
hey guys, can anybody recommend a shop in sydney that has costa del mar sunnies for sale?

Hi David,

Fish Outta Water on George St has a few on sale, or at least they did last week when i was in there. They just dont have the ones i am after.

Im looking for a pair also (Blackfin frame in Matte Black or Gunmetal with Amber 580P lens). If you see a pair, please let me know where they are.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 10:44:59 AM
Hey Chris, did you try Gara Pro Shop? I note they have blackfins on their website!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 01:44:56 PM
Hey Jay,
 Just rechecked those glasses and the pair at $169 are just polarised,  not the polarised photochromic. I sent them an email and the photochromic which i own are still $300. If you check the product code on the otis website and match it up with the ones advertised at the end of the code there is 45-1001 (just straight glass ), 45-1008p(1 P, just polarised ) and the 45-1008pp (two PP, polarised photochromic). That makes the pair of my big deal's both copper polarised photochromic,(just checked the boxes) one of which pair was the pair i broke and they replaced for me for $80.

Thanks for clearing that up Dale, I thought something wasn't quite right!

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 22, 2011, 02:33:27 PM
Got the spotters coyote, which are great, but find them a bit too tight fitting and have to maneuver them around every 30 mins or so, or I have a big head  :'(

Definitely will check out the others mentioned here

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 23, 2011, 10:05:39 PM
I have fished with oakleys, maui and costa and have settled on the costas.My vote to the costa in 580 lense. Mine is blue mirror. Contrast and clarity is very superb. Only downside is both mirror finishes are only available in glass which tends to be heavier. Trendier and more selection in design too compared to Maui.

Another good alternative is Maui.

Cheers,
Kai