Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Making your own stick baits?
July 28, 2011, 07:18:19 PM
I have been making lures (trolling lures, skirts mainly) for some years now and have been selling them in limited numbers here in Melbourne but I have just started to make stick baits and I am seeking advice from others that make thier own on what materials they use (resin v timber) and finishing techniques like foil and holographic tapes. This is not a comercial venture as these take alot of time more just a hobby.

cheers

Kyle

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Making your own stick baits?
July 29, 2011, 08:20:33 AM
I have been making lures (trolling lures, skirts mainly) for some years now and have been selling them in limited numbers here in Melbourne but I have just started to make stick baits and I am seeking advice from others that make thier own on what materials they use (resin v timber) and finishing techniques like foil and holographic tapes. This is not a comercial venture as these take alot of time more just a hobby.

cheers

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

If you have experience in resin's I would stick with what you know. Resin baits will enable you to create duplicates with ease, all you need is the right amount of micro sphere's for the intended action and a good master. I use timber, it is a personal preference. Timber is much more time consuming but I enjoy carving baits so it is a win win. I wouldn't worry about the finishing side until you have a bait that swims, foils and tapes are just that not much too it.

These baits are all hand carved with a carving knife. I am unsure how others shape their baits but I do doubt many are hand carved unless they are sweat shop baits. Have fun and let us know how you get on  8)

BriceBludau

September 20, 2011, 09:25:02 AM
The 360tuna lure building forum has recently blown up with builders giving out tons of secrets and producing some pretty amazing baits.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f87/little-finishing-step-step-16219/

Concept, DennisB, and a few others have some nice tutorial threads about everything from casting resin, lathe working, painting, foil, etc...

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f87/

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 10:19:09 PM
Sam, Those are awsome lures, I have been looking at them on 360 tuna and thats where I got the idea from, so far I have made a couple of poppers and a stick bait, the paint is a sticking point as I am using pressure pack cans and the results are average but ok for first attempt, one is on a drying rotisorrie as I type, getting a clear epoxy coat and if it turns out good I will throw up a pic or pics.

Cheers

Kyle

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 27, 2011, 10:13:41 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shown is a stickbait and popper I have made, the results are o.k but being the first couple they can only improve from here.
Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:15:15 PM by Kyle Stacey

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 29, 2011, 03:40:08 PM
Kyle they look pretty sweet  ;)

Good job, nothing wrong with rolling your own... Even better when they smoke a fish  :D

Have you got them wet?

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2011, 01:39:15 PM
Sam those look awesome! Whats the approx labor time for each bait? Would be unreal catching fish on you're own.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 23, 2011, 04:01:32 PM
Hi Matt,

The labour time for stick baits is huge, I don't have any mechanical way of making these so they are all hand carved using a knife and then a final smoothing with sandpaper. Paint and how far you want to take it can add a lot of time, each of the lures below are done by hand.

I couldn't give you a total time per bait, I don't watch the clock because I enjoy it.  8)

John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 25, 2011, 11:46:07 AM
Sam,
   I have been building my own lures for a while.  Your baits have awesome symmetry for hand shaping, nice work! I have been doing some off centre turning to produce some stickbaits the process annoys me as I'm much more into the finishing side of things.

kaspar lenigas

December 06, 2011, 12:20:20 PM
what type of wire do you use for the lures?

Jonathon Hwang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 27, 2012, 02:21:49 PM
what type of wire do you use for the lures?

I've read elsewhere 1.6 316grade tig welding wire. Said to be easier to work with than 2.4

I dont know what these numbers mean so don't take this as gospel. Just passing on info I've seen elsewhere......

joe sciberras

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 27, 2012, 09:33:19 PM
great work Kyle  i have made a few poopers my self