Gil Ayuyao

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Daiwa Catalina 6500 revisited
August 02, 2011, 11:29:20 PM
Good day everybody,

There was a previous thread regarding thoughts, comments, and reviews of the Catalina...since that was 2 years ago, thought I check again and see if any of you gentlemen has since gotten one...

The line may have been discountinued and I'm new to spinning gear for bigger fish...

Are the Saltiga Z-series that much better?...If there is a $125 (US) price difference say between two 6500-size reels Catalina and Saltiga Z, which would you all get?

Thank you in advance....

g

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Daiwa Catalina 6500 revisited
August 03, 2011, 03:02:25 AM
for a 125$ difference, I would definitely pick up the saltiga. The gearing is much stronger.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 03, 2011, 03:46:40 AM
Hi Gil ,

I was told by a friend who worked in one of the shop in Singapore that Catalina is the rebadged Saltiga Blast . I bought a Z4500 and the price difference then between Z4500 n Saltiga Blast 4500 was quite a lot , from memory the price of Z4500 fetched a 50% premium over the price of Blast 4500 .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Gil Ayuyao

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 03, 2011, 05:25:13 AM
Thanks Rick and Jon for the information,

I just received info from Alan Hawk and he informs me the following...

"The gears are different. The ones on the Saltiga z are marine bronze and stainless steel vs aluminium alloy and brass on the Catalina. No comparison in strength and durability. Keep on mind though that the Saltiga Z has been discontinued while the Catalina is still in production. Meaning that your Z won't be easily repaired in a couple of years."

There are couple of places that were/are clearing out the Saltiga Z's for $700, but recently saw a Catalina 6500 for $577, but with the above info, the decision is leaning towards the Z...

The Daiwa US-website has schematics online, but I can't navigate the Japanese site to see if there are schematics listed...
Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:02:53 AM by Gil Ayuyao