Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First blood
August 14, 2011, 08:26:31 AM
I've had my boat for a few months now and after a few local trips with no result GT wise I was starting to wonder when/how I was going to land one on the deck ???
Woke up Wednesday morning and we had a window of 12hours with 5knotts northerly wind so the call was made, Patrick was at my place before he had hung up! Loaded the gear and launched at about 9:30am and opened the throttle.
We arrived at the first location only to find 8 other boats hanging around. Luckily they were out away from the bar we wanted to pop so out came the weapons, my Kaiser Bali GT rod and fresh off the drying rack my Saltywater Race Point. Matched to the rods were a Saltiga Z6000GT and a Stella 10000FA with a 20k spool.
The first drift showed nothing, second drift follow, third drift Pat had 5 GT climbing over each other for his popper and I had 2 after mine. Pat had about 5m of line pulled out and then nothing, hooks failed to find the target. The 2 after my popper swiped all the way to the boat and I was out of room, all I could do was pause and it payed off with 1 GT doubling back and finding my hooks. A short fight followed even though the fish fought above his weight, the Race Point made short work of him. First GT on board Yew!
Another 3 drifts showed nothing so we headed further on to location #2 where no GT were to be seen but rather large Queenfish which smoked me on a soft plastic before I had a chance to think about it.
Location 3 was slack tide so we had lunch and decided to go further than we had planned for a look, we only found dirty water which went 5k off shore.
Back to #3 for cleaner water, sunset and a quick troll which resulted in a great size mack and 2 longtail tuna. Since we had dinner it was off to the camping spot and shelter from the rising wind.

The wind did rise, much more than the predicted 20 knotts (a yacht reported 30knt gusting to 38 in our location) which made popping anywhere extremely hazardous for us so unfortunately we had to make the journey home stopping only for a troll around location #2 which I managed to pick up one of the queenies that dusted me the day before and he would have measured over 1.1m.

Home it was. We had covered over 230km for the trip and even though we didn't land heaps of fish it was a great trip and good to see a few spots I haven't seen in a while. It was also a great test for the boat which handled the seas much better than I thought it would.
I don't have many pics to share, my camera died not long ago and I am yet to get a replacement. The pics here were taken from my phone :o

Jamie Moir

Re: First blood
August 14, 2011, 10:15:17 AM
Nice to see you blood it there Warwick.

I've been following the boat since prepurchase on panga forums, if its the one I'm thinking of ;)

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 12:31:07 PM
Hi Jamie, i don't think its the boat you are thinking of. This is a 6m Galeforce. The Panga's do look nice tho :)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 01:03:04 PM
Great looking rig Warwick,

Nice fish too. 8)

Pete

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 02:06:40 PM
Excellent stuff Woz, very nice to get the first taste of success in the new rig, and what a great looking vessel it is too.

BTW, what lures did the damage?

Thanks for sharing mate
Angus

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 02:47:15 PM
Excellent stuff Woz, very nice to get the first taste of success in the new rig, and what a great looking vessel it is too.

BTW, what lures did the damage?

Thanks for sharing mate
Angus

Cheers Angus

GT was on a Hammerhead D cup, the mack and tuna were on x-raps

Jamie Moir

August 14, 2011, 06:52:49 PM
Hi Jamie, i don't think its the boat you are thinking of. This is a 6m Galeforce. The Panga's do look nice tho :)

Thats really funny! I thought the other guy off the forum's name was Warwick as well, and was hoping to hit some Gts. What size galeforce is that?? All the others I've seen have been small and that looks a lot bigger?
Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:54:52 PM by Jamie Moir

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 07:48:04 PM
Nice work Warwick. Does this mean you beat Travis to blood your new toys?

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 08:14:04 PM
Nice work Warick,

Always a good feeling to land a couple of good fish in a new boat. Those Galeys are a pretty sweet rig. Went for a bit of a pop on Friday but didn't manage to raise any interest. Seemed to be heaps of small bait all the way up Curtis but didn't even see any schools of tuna. They must be further up your way. Congrats again.

Kev

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 08:52:31 PM

Didn't think about that Graham, i'll have to check. Travis certainly has one up on the boat tho, what a nice rig!

Jamie, Its a 6 meter galey. most of the others are 5.4 and 4.8m.

Kevin, I'm yet to see decent bait schools this season and tuna schools for that matter.

Tom Kalic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 15, 2011, 07:51:59 AM
Nice one Warwick. What part of the world was that?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 09:54:29 AM

Didn't think about that Graham, i'll have to check. Travis certainly has one up on the boat tho, what a nice rig!

Jamie, Its a 6 meter galey. most of the others are 5.4 and 4.8m.

Kevin, I'm yet to see decent bait schools this season and tuna schools for that matter.

Yes Graham it does bloody mean he beat me to blood the new boat  ;D ;D  Still not a GT to come across the decks of ours yet  :o ??  September is the time though - can't wait.

(PS Graham - you're PM inbox is full)

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 11:54:40 AM
Nice work Warwick  :)
that is a lot of water to cover  ;)

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 18, 2011, 12:59:24 PM
Travis,
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't worry about no GTs in the boat yet...doesn't change how nice it runs. I think you need to retire that ebipop though
I will probably have a run Sunday and do my usual dozen casts and see what comes along. Small tide