Byron Ford

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging Fiji ??????
January 18, 2012, 11:35:21 PM
Hay guys got a trip to Fiji in 8 days, got all my popping gear set, but after speaking to the charter guys today he said bring a jigging set up, he said he's got a good spot for doggies, as never jigged in or for doggies I got no idea what jigs to take or buy, I got a few tuna jigs an a heap of others so any tips from guys that have jigged over there would be much appreciated, also what set up u think I should take, Stella 20k, jigging master pe4, pe5 narrow, now the tricky part rods?? Most my rods are light, JM three kings 120, JM power spell 250, I got a revolution 200-400 I used in nz on kings, what ya thoughts ???

Thanks guys

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging Fiji ??????
January 19, 2012, 10:03:56 AM
If the doggies are any size Byron, take the elephant guns!

Stella 20K ideal (filled with PE8).  A lot of the guys have great success on some quite large doggies on pretty small (short and fat) lures, others swear by the longer knife jigs.

It will depend a lot on water depth and current, but a few of each would be ideal.  Take some more of the smaller jigs and you can use this for the lighter tackle jigging as well for demersals. 

You will need a pretty serious rod to stick it to a doggie big time, but not too heavy in the tip to work the ligter jigs (say down to 150 - 200grams).  The rod that I use for this work is a Saltiga 56XHFS.  Its got a nice light tip to flip the smaller jigs (and a wide range of jigs) but a heap of grunt down low to fish PE8 to the limit.  I'm sure other rods of a similar recipe exist, but there are a lot of heavy rods that really require heavy jigs to work properly - beware of that.

Take a light outfit too (I'm thinking your JM 250 and PE5N) the demersals and "smaller" targets can get quite big and pull very bloody hard!

Byron Ford

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 02:22:33 PM
Thanks peter for the info, a mate is going to lend me his pe6 an JM power spell 400, I used it in nz on the monster kings an loved it, an also felt nice jigging the litter jigs, I had the 20k on a cheap jig star 350 an hated fighting the bigger fish on the spin set up, but by the way things are looking I may as well take the whole tackle shed lol I will still take a rod for the 20k just in case, an I got a heap of the short tuna jigs that I know work over here so I def pack a few of them.

Thanks again for the heads up mate now just hope to have a good report in a few weeks time

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 03:16:00 PM
Good luck Byron, should be nice and toasty over there!

Kosta Psarreas

January 25, 2012, 10:55:11 AM
 :) Hi byron i'm wanting to make a trip over to Fiji as well which charter di u organize to go with Thanks
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:57:50 AM by Kosta Psarreas