Kurt Wilson

Re: Go Pro video camera
September 19, 2011, 10:48:09 AM
Marinco,
Cheers for that info, the head band attachment sounds great for wearing with visor. I'll look into the contours more seriously. You can also get an iPhone app which allows you to use your phone as a viewfinder which is pretty nifty.

marinco koj

September 20, 2011, 08:37:43 AM
Hi Kurt

The head band is quick and easy to take on and off, the iphone app only works if you buy the contour GPS version which is about $100+ more.

You also need to buy a separate housing for the contour if you want it waterproof.

mk

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 20, 2011, 10:59:28 PM
I think the GoPro have better quality videos from the online sample videos at their site.
The footage "bitch slapped" from this video GT FISHING in FIJI Matava Resort, KADAVU is taken by Marinco's Contour camera, colours ain't that great IMO, and that's me getting owned by a GT

The other clips are taken by a 5D Mark II which takes excellent videos !! but you can't mount that on your head :-)

marinco koj

September 21, 2011, 10:05:56 AM
Some of the contour footage was also shot with the underwater housing so the camera didn't get wet, and it's shooting through plastic.

mk

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2011, 10:21:54 AM
Hey Marinco, just got back from Malaysia and got a few things on but will definately give you a buzz, would like to check that out

Cheers

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2011, 10:35:40 AM
P.S that video still cracks me up

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2011, 01:49:03 PM
Hey Maybs,
A few observations.

I've found that the chest strap footage taken while mechanical jigging is pretty nauseating to watch.
Clamping the go pro to the rod when fighting the fish, doesn't show the true nature of the curve as it's sits fixed to the rod. bit of a let down.
Also it is hard to keep in a fixed position, gets bumped and gets in the way when winding.
Also the high pitch braid noise on guides under pressure is annoying in playback.

Maybe go the head set option, it would be good for 1st person filming but 3rd person footage of you will look goofy.

Easy software update for simple 1 button operation.

Pretty fun versatile bit of kit that can take knocks and underwater footage. No viewfinder is a bit of drawback but thats just a matter of getting used to what it can do. 
Small body and wide angle fisheye means you can stick in a GT's mouth, gob-cam!

They are fun to cast but don't float, I almost lost mine on the last day fishing in NZ, dived overboard to get it as it was sinking fast!

Cheers David

Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:54:29 PM by David Noble

marinco koj

September 25, 2011, 08:44:34 AM
The contour cam with the underwater housing you buy separate does float, I've taking it snorkeling and comes up for air.

mk