Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where does Seed fit into the picture !
December 08, 2007, 09:08:32 PM
Where do Seed rods fit into the picture as a brand. Just curious really as I have one, a GT76 PE4-6, its 7' 6" which I built with all the bells and whistles, and a couple of my fishing buddies have them too. Though we've had them a while we haven't used them yet as we have not really had the oportunity. We're not expecting to use them in the vicinity of monster GT's,as generally speaking we dont see many over 20kg though over the years a few have been contacted. How do Seed compare to the likes of Carpenter, Smith, Fisherman, Shimano, etc.
There's only about a dozen or so of us in the Philippines who are into popping and jigging in any way, and we're all begginers, albeit with reasonable theory I suppose, but a serious lack of experience and exposure to tackle. Only now are we seing a  coulple of items like the Stellas, or Saltiga reels and other recognised brands rods that one or two of us have picked up on our travels, so there's precious little for us to make comparisons with as yet.
On  another note, I think I'll be the first to have any of the Heru poppers here-they should be arriving from Claire at Nomad on Monday so I'll be looking forward to getting them on the water. I already have a couple of Adheks, and Yozuri bulls plus some of the cheaper Surecatch type and a few home mades so progress is being made !

Darran Davis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Where does Seed fit into the picture !
December 09, 2007, 03:11:46 AM
Hi Earl, I have used the Seed rods quite a bit for GT and would say that for the price they come very close to the performance of the better brands, definitely better than an off the shelf popping rod, better than Tenryu and Zenaq IMHO,
I have used the GT 76, 83 and 83H, while the 76 may not stop a 40+kg GT the others will they will take 10kg drag which is rated easily. The blanks can be easily done to your specs so you have a custom rod capable of landing a big fish easily.

By the way who made your custom Seed?

Darran.

This beast was caught on the GT83

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 09, 2007, 03:09:41 PM
Seed is the only very few option one can buy just the blank from Japanese manufacturer which produce rods based on the same blank , most other GT rod manufacturers won't sell their propreitory blanks .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2007, 05:49:20 PM
Hi Jon,
I gathered that was the case as I had not seen much available in the form of blanks.
To answere Darran, I build my own rods usually, which is why I chose the Seed as a blank to build for popping. But, I started this thread to find out if my choice was ok as I was beggining to doupt if Seed are decent rods because I see so little mentioned about them in the forums.
If I build the rods myself, I understand much more about them, and have a much stronger sense of confidence in there ability to perform as they are designed to do. As I was building rods professionally for several years, I have no reason to doubt my ability to build them correctly and to withstand the punishment they are expected to take, and I can add a few customisations for my own benefit-as in this Seed, where I have built in a seperation grip to allow me to seperate the sections without twisting the guides.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 09, 2007, 06:20:26 PM
Hi Earl ,

Nice configuration at the joint however the yellow EVA grips are easily stained , if it were my choise I wud still use cork eventhough it's harder on the hand ( with gloves ) , I just like cork finishes .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

lonhro

December 10, 2007, 12:36:53 AM
Hey Earl,

love that little idea you have come up with  !!! thats a ripper ...

And love the yellow

Randalz

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2007, 09:22:22 PM
I have to thank you guys here for the idea of the seperation grip-there have been a few threads here that have mentioned the problem of seperating the sections after long trips, and I just happened to have a 3" piece of the grip material left over from doing the split grip-and "Bingo", a seperation grip seemed the obvious use for it !

Darran Davis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 11, 2007, 06:00:50 AM
Hi Jon,
I gathered that was the case as I had not seen much available in the form of blanks.
To answere Darran, I build my own rods usually, which is why I chose the Seed as a blank to build for popping. But, I started this thread to find out if my choice was ok as I was beggining to doupt if Seed are decent rods because I see so little mentioned about them in the forums.
If I build the rods myself, I understand much more about them, and have a much stronger sense of confidence in there ability to perform as they are designed to do. As I was building rods professionally for several years, I have no reason to doubt my ability to build them correctly and to withstand the punishment they are expected to take, and I can add a few customisations for my own benefit-as in this Seed, where I have built in a seperation grip to allow me to seperate the sections without twisting the guides.

Hi Earl nice job and a great idea on the separation grip, respect!!

Darran.

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2007, 03:12:43 PM
Thanks, the main thing is -it works !