Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE 5 Popping Rod
December 26, 2007, 06:39:16 PM
G'day guys chasing a PE5 popping rod to suit my Stella 8000 w/ 50lb braid. Going to be used off a boat so something around 7ft prefferably. Will be used for GT's at the Monte Bellos plus for lagoon fishing for Coral Trout, GT's, Red Bass etc on my Rowley Shoals trip next year. Don't really wanna spend over $300 but could stretch it for the right rod.

Thanks

Jay

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: PE 5 Popping Rod
December 27, 2007, 04:30:54 PM
Jay I reckon a Calstar GF700H would suit you down to the ground.  That rod I made up has had my 8000 hanging off it for the last few months and has accounted for about 40GT's and is great to use.  With Fuji SIC guides it cost around $450 for the parts.  Depends if you're game enough to have a crack at making one, but I find it very satisfying to catch decent fish on my home-made stick.  I got the recipe from Hal Harvey so it's a proven setup.

Cairns Bommie Basher

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 27, 2007, 06:38:15 PM
G'day Stephen, considering that option but I don't want to have to go out and buy myself a lathe so I can do the job properly. If I get someone else to make it just adds more $$..

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 27, 2007, 09:54:26 PM
I've just bought the 6'8 Smith KGS for PE3/5000 reel. They do a 7' which would be nice on PE5 and 8000 size reel. The one I have is awesome. Want to get the whole set. Think it was around $230US...

Saw some pics on another forum of a guy landing a good GT on the 7' version so its a tough stick.