Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
jigging rods for trolling, using trolling reels??
September 02, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
What is everyone's view on this?   I used to mainly troll for marlin and sail (with Dad as a youngester) and so on but then got into jigging and spent the hard earned pennies there, however i am now getting setup for trolling and the jigging gear is influencing my gear choice!

I'm going to run two tiagra 16's with 30 lbs braid and 30lbs mono top shot of 100 meters or so and then two tiagra 30w with 50 lbs braid and 100 meters of 50lbs topshot or so.  I know the 30W are too big for 50lbs braid but i bought those first before i started to really think about braid so I'll live with it now and then upgrade them to 80 lbs braid later on.

I want light rods (in weight)  with fuji eyes (braid friendly) so that i can keep everything as light as possible. I also want short rods (fit under T-top for storage). Most trolling rods seem to have rollers and are much heavier (600-800 grams) than jigging rods.

Why aren't jigging rods used as trolling rods?  Are they too springy to troll with?  But if that is the case a 400 gram jigging rod would be stiff enough to pull lures?    Or is it that the butt sections are not strong enough to sit in the rod holder without snapping when a decent fish piles on the lure?

Any comments would be appreciated as I really confused with what is the best way forward here.  I would like the trolling rods to be shorter than 1.8 meters (6 foot) but shroter would be nice.   Target is sail, dorado, tuna, wahoo and striped marlin mainly......

looking forward to ideas.

Alistair

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
Shimano do the BACKBONE ELITE range.

They are a great trolling rod and value for money they come in 10KB - 15KG - 24KG
Cheers,
Rob

Jamie Moir

Bit naughty, but I caught a weird stickface trolling on my Golden Mean Earthshaker/Shimano Talica TAC 8 combo, between jigging spots.

It did the job fine, but at the same time, you don't need a super light weight rod for trolling as most of the time its in the  rod holder. Can't say I'ver ever used a conventional troller beyond 6' so t-top clearance isn't an issue. Oh did I mentioned we had a 100kg blue marlin hit a braid outfit, but luckily still one with harness lugs. That was fine, but remember most jigging reels don't have harness lugs which is a problem as you go over 15kg and the fish get bigger. Not really that fussed about trolling mono on a big reel either anymore, besides its cheap =)

Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:10:19 AM by Jamie Moir

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
No problem trolling with jigging rods in that Target species range, the Shimano T Curves are good 200 and 400 all rounders, good 50 and 80lb [braid] standup.
Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:19:43 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thankyou all very much for your input, sounds like its not to bad an idea then!  I was scared they would be too springy but others have tried it so it sounds all good. 

thanks a lot all.

Alistair

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Trolled a halco laser pro on a jigwrex 526 rod and fin nor offeshore jig reel. 4 wahoo between 20 - 25kg. No problems. 50lb Tuf line.

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
T Curve 400

Gary Krol

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice forum here guys, I was trolling with Stella and this OR Explorer Rodrigues Special, it makes a nice trolling rod, it's a ripple fisher blank

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f4/puerto-vallarta-8-2-8-3-report-21430/

Son Pham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
i seen heaps of people use jigging rods for trolling... i personally prefer it as its much lighter to handle than the trolling rods.