Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am in Prince Edward Island, Canada for fishing giant now.

I fought a giant with 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod/Shimano Tiagra 50W for a while, but I had to give the rod to mate Brad  because I had cramps in my legs.  Brad finally brought 1000 lb giant to the boat. The total fighting time was one hour using 50 plus lb drag. We didn't measure the fish, but 1000 mark is pretty close because the fish is definitely the biggest one I've seen in P.E.I. except Dennis Braid's 1100 - 1200 lb tuna.

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That is a monster. We caught 4 Pacific Blue fin to 250+kg off Westport NZ a couple of years ago, but babies compared to that beast.

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
awesome rod bend pics! nice fish too!

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Incredible fish!  :o

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
What a bloody mammoth!
Nice one

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
WOW, I'd love to see a few more pictures!

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
WOW, I'd love to see a few more pictures!

Second that.

Top stuff Kil. That would have been a total body workout  :)

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
OK more pictures. :)

650 lb landed with 4'8" custom 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special in 30 minutes

Labor Day was the last day of fishing in PEI.
I wanted to land a giant with PE10 reel, but the attempt was failed due to unexpected line breakage. So I decided to use 4'8" custom 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special with Shimano Tiagra 50W on which Capt Tony spooled new line for me.

It didn't take long to hear line creaming.
Giant made a long run, but I could gain line relatively easy with 50 lb drag compared to other fights this time. Fish made a few long run, but didn't fight really hard.
I knew it was not a monster.
The fighting time was less than 30 minutes
when mate Brad got the leader and pulled the giant to the boat.
I estimated at 600 lb, but Capt Tony said it could be 650 lb - 700 lbs. It looked pretty small after sawing 800 - 100 lbs giant. :)

The short rod showed stiffness and backbone even tuna was circling under the boat.
However I was nervous during the fight because I know the aluminum reel seat can give  a problem. While thin, parabolic Black Hole rod can be bent under the real seat under heavy pressure and aluminum reel seat prevent the rod from bending further. Fortunately the custom rod with aluminum reel seat survived this time even on 50 plus lb drag.

8" was cut from the tip of 450g Black Hole Cow Special for the custom rod to make it stiffer.

I am going to cut about 8" from the tip of 7'Black Hole Cow Special to see the action for giant on my next trip to P.E.I. in two weeks.

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
800-850 lb giant on 7' Black Hole Cow Special 2nd generation

One of the objective of the trip is to test 7' Cow Special. I don't doubt the strength of the rod even for giant, but I'd like to see the action of the rod.

The rod performs beautifully, but 7' simply too long when tuna pull hard under the boat.  The 800 - 850 lb tuna came up to the surface within 30 yards from the boat in 50 minutes, but I didn't realized it was a just start of long battle.
Tuna made a long run suddenly. It puzzled me because I thought tuna was about to give up. After the fight, we found that drag at strike was only 32 lb on strike position though I set up the drag at 45 lb before we left the dock. In addition to it, the reel lost free spool. While fighting, the spool of the reel was very hot.

I was going to test new Black Hole Cow Special 3rd generation on the next P.E.I. trip  in mid September but I gave up. I don't want to use 7' rod again for giant. :)
Instead, I decided to test the rods for cow on  a long range trip out of San Diego.

Greg (maximum anchorage) lost a huge giant on Capt Greg's boat. He fought 30 minutes on 70 lb drag before it pulled hook.  There are some monster there.

If you ask me whether PE10 can land a giant in 600 - 800 lb, my answer is yes.
I had a giant within 20 - 30 yards from the boat before leader line broke. As you know you rarely see giant under 600 lb in P.E.I. But the reel is good for 200 - 300 lb tuna, not for giant. I just wanted to test the strength of the reel.

800 - 850 lb giant on 7' Black Hole Cow Special II

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
giant feeding frenzy in PEI.

Giant Feeding Frenzy in P.E.I 2011

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
wow awsome fish good to see some big fish still left

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Even you are not a fan of trolling, you'll love this video.
Prince Edward Island, Canada is truly one of the last frontier left.

The sickets Giant Bluefin Tuna Bites on this planet!!!

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
unbelievable..........

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
that was insane