Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick Trip, Central Queensland
October 19, 2011, 10:00:43 AM
I see a lot of reports of fantstic destinations, epic trips, beautiful boats and awesome gear...this report is nothing like that.
Woke up early sunday morning as had a suspicion weather might be better than forecast...dead flat.
Hooked up the crabbing tinnie at 5:45am with an outside chance of getting offshore to chase some GT's. First cast was 6:30AM and things looked promising. Hooked a nice little GT second cast that went pretty well for its size, landed and released...good start!

Caught another GT a few casts later so decided I better have a look somewhere else because I was starting to tire a bit.
2 or 3 other spots produced nothing over the next half hour so started working my way home.

Raised a good fish that I only noticed AFTER I lifted the popper from the water, wasn't really expecting anything wandering up from the deep, so thought I better have a few more casts.  A nice GT got airborne and crashed my ebipop. This was not good as it was in some ugly country and my tinnie was getting dragged in as well, being by myself I had a lot of fun driving the little tiller steer tinnie while trying to push this fish around a bit, anyway after a few minute we were both drifting away from trouble  in 15 metres of water over sand so I backed the drag off and settled down to working this fish up...of course thats when the hooks dropped out and and it was all over, probably a good thing cause I didn't really have a plan of how to land it.

Thought I wouldn't push my luck with the weather so headed back to my trailer on the beach and was home by 10:30AM

Jeez I like living at the beach

Photos are bad, my gear is cheap, my boats crap, total trip cost was $20 for fuel, but I had a lot of fun. Not sure if I would recommend fishing for GT's  by yourself though, not even another boat in sight.

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Quick Trip, Central Queensland
October 19, 2011, 02:58:02 PM
Nice work Graham, I like your style. I was thinking of you 2 weeks ago when I was trying to drop a jig to the bottom in 420 m.

Any longtails pushing through your country yet?

Cheers,

Matt

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 19, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
Matt,

You are nuts fishing in 420m!, though its still on my to do list.

Keppel Bay is full of Mac tuna and some schools of spotties. I think Warwick has been catching longtails, but I haven't seen any.  After the flood earlier this year the overall fishing has been excellent.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 10:10:13 AM
Awesome Graham ;) ;D  Good to see some action around, good to hear the pelagics are coming back through as well.  Awoonga for some Catties this weekend then maybe into the GT's again <fingers crossed smilie>

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 10:42:12 AM
I was up in Central QLD (Yeppoon) in the first week of September and there were no fish at all.

Good to hear that there are actually some fish there.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 10:48:15 AM
Hi Chris,
But it wasn't blowing 30 knots when I went out and I've probably got a bit more local knowledge.

If you want to have another go sometime give me a yell

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 11:03:20 AM
Good report Graham. Nailing local fish- oh yeah! :)

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 12:11:24 PM
Very nice Graham ;D. Do you call it the tiller steer - popping rod tango?

I feel your pain Chris, 5 days at home and nothing under 20knots forcast :(

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 12:18:28 PM
I wish a quick trip in SA meant popping GT's!

You've got it good man! And for 20 bucks, loving it.

Cheers for the report.

Aaron Concord

October 20, 2011, 09:03:54 PM
Graham,

You appear to be the king of the central QLD coast short duration/max 30 cast (or thereabouts) GT trip!

I assume that's one of my pre-loved Ebi's you nailed that GT on???

Love you work. 

Aaron.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 21, 2011, 08:33:59 AM
Hi Aaron,
Yep, thats your ebipop. I think its up to 5 GTs a spano and a couple of queenies...might have to retire it soon. Just about the best all round lure I've used....Do you have any more??