David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Have any of you guys used these rods? They're the standard Jigging rod from Shimano that's sold in the States. I believe its a shorter upgrade from the standard Trevala? They're only $200 so I could possibly get one of these even though I was trying to avoid opening this particular pandora's box!

Also, will it be a bad idea to use the fast retrieve (6:1) Stella for this? Its only a one off, if I go again I'll get a low gear ratio reel.

What do you reckon?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi David ,have not herd of that rod here in NZ, but if Shimano say its a jigging rod it should be fine, as for the stella at 6:1 im guessing that is the 10000 awesome reel for popping but for jigging i would suggest the 20000.Not to say you couldn't use the 10000 but hooked up deep on a big fish one can find it quite difficult to get a turn on the handle because it want's to take so much line in at one turn,in saying that it is not really that much more than what the 20000 would take.Go nut's on the credit card and get both.  lol
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

robert bado

Hi David,

I find the Trevala rod to be rated a little on the light side of what they claim. You may want to go one step up in weight from what you need if you go with the Trevala. Check out Hopper Rods. Just as affordable as the Trevala but lighter and stronger. www.allwaterstackle.com is the place... also check out the Boca jigging rods while you're there. I've heard good things about them.

Dean

robert bado

David, I had another thought as well... a company in the U.S. called Sea Magic has just introduced a new line of jigging rods called Dragonfly Jigging Rods, they look very nice and are reasonably priced with a good selection of spinning and conventional rods of various weight... www.seamagiclures.com. They also have a good selection of popping lures! Thinking of giving one of the rods a try myself.

Dean   
Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:22:21 AM by robert bado

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Cheers for the advice guys, I'm seeing that Van Staal have put out a jigging rod for $280 which isn't too painful. Notice how my budget is slowly increasing! Has anyone tried/used these?

robert bado

David,
Hav'nt tried the Van Stall rod myself but if they are anything like the reels they should be bullet proof. It's funny how the "budget" gets higher and higher until pretty soon spending $500.00 on a piece of equipment seems like a fair price ???

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Ha ha yes isn't it!!!!!! First off I was going to just get a shitty $100 Trevala rod and a few Williamson jigs for this and have done with it. All of a sudden I've bought a Stella and the budget for the rod's gone from $100 to like you say around $500!!

Hey its only money and i could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I'll leave a note in my will that they can sell my fishing kit and use the funds raised to buy the 3rd world out of debt..

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I have just changed my name by deed poll to '3rd world', they don't need to sell the kit, just give it as is. ::) ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I just can't understand why some of you buy so much jigging and popping equipment   ???         ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Well I didn't know I was into it until I joined this site. I was happy with a spheros for god's sake!

robert bado

Same here! I think these sites are some sort of marketing ploy for the rod and reel companies ;D!

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
As a mate keeps telling me, life is a game and the one with the most toys wins!!
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
i Have a very light version of this rod and have pulled up some very big fish on it (pe3) although not ideal for what i have used it for it has never faulted me. Great rods and the wallet was not empty :)
When x meets y