George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mana Island
October 02, 2011, 11:55:23 AM
Hi Guys

Got a friend who will be heading off to Mana Island in the next week for a relaxing holiday, but advised him that if he doesn't go on a fishing trip while there, not to talk to me  ;D

Did a search, but nothing really came up besides two posts.

The question is, has anyone been on or know of any charters that run off Mana Island that also supplies all gear, etc?

What type of fish would he expect to catch (not land based)?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Barry Lazarus

Re: Mana Island
October 02, 2011, 09:59:56 PM
Gday George

I am heading to Mana myself in about a week and am also keen for fishing.  I was there last year and did the main charter- not great, all trolling with old heavy gear, and pricey.  This year however have hooked up with the guy running the charters from the backpackers.  He didn't have any popping gear but was very interested in getting started, in fact I am supposed to be bringing gear over for him, so there will be popper fishing on Mana this year for sure!

I'll probably even join your mate.  Is he planning on bringing gear with him? 

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 02, 2011, 10:51:56 PM
Hey Barry

He is going more so for a family holiday, so is not looking at bringing any gear across. It seems there isn't much then from what you're saying. I think he said he is going this coming Saturday/Sunday, so if there isn't much charters, the chances of being on the same one are good.

How much did you pay for the charter?

Barry Lazarus

October 02, 2011, 11:36:19 PM
Yeah family trip (with Friends) here too so not a full fledged fishing trip!  We get in Wed week.

can't remember exactly cost of charter, remember thinking it's no cheaper than here in Australia and also recall that the charters from the backpackers seemed much better value, that said I have no idea about their boat or gear - aside from the gear I am supposed to be taking for them.  As they are just getting started into popping i don't think they will have a large selection of lures (only asked me for 3) and if they'll be using their new gear for charters or just for personal (I assume they will be though).  If your mate wants to check costs, gear etc Contact the guys at the backpackers, website is:   http://www.ratukinidiveresort.com.fj/

There are GTs about as well as dolphin fish, wahoo, barracuda etc

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 04, 2011, 09:40:17 PM
Your a very friendly guy if your taking your own gear for them.

Thanks for the info and I'll let my friend know about the backpackers.

Cheers mate  :)

Dan Kaggelis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 06, 2011, 10:21:33 PM
I had a crack at Mana Island a year ago with the guy who runs the fishing charter. Lots of trolling around the island but there is plenty of popping opportunities with lots of good red bass and trout and GT around. I paid one of the dive guys to take me out a second time and he took me to a sand cay just off the back of the island for some free diving. The drop off was amazing and I saw heaps of big GT/ trout and red bass when the tide began to rip. Might be a good idea to have a chat to these guys (they are right where the boats come in) especially if you have your own gear. Will try to find some pics

Dan Kaggelis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 06, 2011, 10:27:46 PM
some pics of the drop off. The cay went from about 5 foot deep to 80 + in some spots. I was free diving to about 65 and there was plenty still to go.

Barry Lazarus

October 07, 2011, 03:42:37 PM
Awesome Dan
Will be fishing with the guy that does the diving from backpackers, will try to hit that spot
Thanks

Barry Lazarus

November 07, 2011, 08:47:32 PM
He guys,

Great time at Mana Island.  Got a few follows on poppers but no hookups.  Few solid hits and runs while trolling stickbaits with 1 small GT landed.  Many wahoo, barracuda, tuna landed and 1 large sailfish lost - was good to see her jumping and dancing after hooking up.  All in all good fun fishing and amazing sites.

If you head over go straight to the Ratu Kini backpackers (to the right once you get off the ferry).  When you get there tell them you want to go fishing with Tui.  He's a keen fisherman and a great bloke.  Be careful as there are several guys trying to get you out fishing with dodgey gear or handlines only.

I will post some pics soon