Kurt Wilson

How much line for popping?
September 14, 2011, 12:32:11 AM
Hi guys,
Just spooled my saltiga 6000 up with varivas GT PE8 and realised a little too late that they only hold about 200m,
Is this going to be a real problem? I Havent done any popping for big GTs but from what ive gathered if they take a decent amount of line they'll reef me anyway?
Cheers

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How much line for popping?
September 14, 2011, 01:32:54 AM
Hi Kurt

Issues on line always get brought up in all sorts of fishing but it is what's between you and the fish!
I am sure a lot  of experience guys here will advise you on these.

For me I always ask: do I need big cast? If rough terrain and short cast only, what is the lightest ican get away with? How heavy can I fish with the rod? How much drag can I apply? What size poppers or stick baits I need? All these questions links to your choice of line.

My recent trip to new cal got me thinking a lot on having the right set up. When you fish New Caledonia you need to do big cast most time, but when you in the lagoon you need heavy line to skull drag the GT or should I say lock up the drag and hang on  ;D

Pe8 is my choice of line, you should get a little more on your 6000. But why don't you put varivas pe6 on
the 6000spool and buy your self 6500spool and put the pe8 on it ( you will get 300m on it).

For me a rule of thumb, I always have 300m on my spool, because you never know when will a monster dogtooth jump out and eat your popper or stickbait.

Hope that day come earlier than later ::)

Sam Loh

September 14, 2011, 02:49:41 AM
Agreed with Ricky on choice of PE8 as that will always be my base factor in selecting my setup for GT popping now aday. My humble theory is that even with lesser line cap, I am confident in PE8 to give my 100% engagement into the fight should I even need to thumb the spool to attempt to slow down any brutal charge I dont have to worry about breaking the line.  As compare to PE6, any split hesitation whether should i thumb spool and trying to compensate worrying that the line will break always got me reef thus end result is the same and that feeling is beyond words.

Through trial of many combinations to find my own limitation fishing as light as possible and as much as i can get away with, I even went down to PE5 with only 170m on TW6000 though i could cast 70-80m, I found myself left with only 100m of 70lb line to win the fight and the odds of winning you can easily guess.

My minimum is 200m of PE8 and that call for a full lock-down on my drag. Higher line cap with lesser PE no longer make sense to me but that is just me.

Cheers

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 07:54:10 AM
I have 300 yards of PE10 (100lb) on my Saltiga 6500.
Fills the spool comfortably without worrying about line falling off the spool..

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 10:01:16 AM
What line are you using Chris?

Kurt Wilson

September 14, 2011, 07:50:25 PM
Yeh i sort of just assumed the 6000 spool would have similar capacity to the 6500. I dont think I'll be going for massive casts and in the terrain I'm fishing (Rowley Shoals) losing alot of line probably means losing the fish. I have another 6500 spool filled with 300m of pe8 for trying to jig the massive dogtooth there so it should be all good.
Cheers guys.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 07:58:47 PM
Yeh i sort of just assumed the 6000 spool would have similar capacity to the 6500. I dont think I'll be going for massive casts and in the terrain I'm fishing (Rowley Shoals) losing alot of line probably means losing the fish. I have another 6500 spool filled with 300m of pe8 for trying to jig the massive dogtooth there so it should be all good.
Cheers guys.

Good luck at the Rowleys Kurt, it's an amazing place. Really need to get back there one of these days.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 08:01:08 PM
Chris, what line are you using? I don't know many PE10s which are only 100lb

I have 300 yards of PE10 (100lb) on my Saltiga 6500.
Fills the spool comfortably without worrying about line falling off the spool..
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 08:49:46 PM
What line are you using Chris?

PE10 Jerry Brown solid.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally