Paulus Van Gaal

Bimini Twist,,, gathering info
September 13, 2011, 08:10:17 AM
Hi Guys

I want to gather some Data / information on bimini twists and the loops capabilities, then how well, you fish'os can make them, thats if they can be made successfully at all.

After seeing some sent in to me to test, with the results varying greatly to such an extent, that it's a worry, should you be using them at all.
I see a lot of "Go Bimini to Bimini it's a 100% strong" right across the web, done right it "may" be, but generally I am not so sure.

Not sure how many of you guys use them. So wondering how many would be interested in this, Results would not mention names, we should be able to work out some thing. You can send me an email.
If i can get enough guys to send them in, i will put down the ground rules, with a 300yd spool of Tasline speckled braid and pullon leaders for the best result.

I need enough Guys to make them to get a broad idea of how well they are made, If I get enough of you interested i will put up the ground rules. I did put it up on 2 other sites and got a few but not enough takers.
What about it guys
Paulus

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/index.htm

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bimini Twist,,, gathering info
September 13, 2011, 08:16:27 AM
What are you actually looking for, Paulus? You want the guys to make bimimis for you? What poundage do you want these made in or that doesn't matter provided we identify the line and supposed breaking strain? How long a length of line do you need on the bimimi?

There has been a quite broad move away from using bimimis in GT fishing these days with most people moving to friction knots.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Paulus Van Gaal

September 13, 2011, 10:20:48 AM

Hi

Moving away from these may be a good idea but still a lot of people use them, joining braid line to line, this also has the extra problem of the loop to loop connection in it's self. Its also used with windon and casting leaders. Many fisho's still think this is the way to go, and it's 100%.

So I am looking for samples to test, but a few ground rules for those interested.

Loops must be be made with new line.
A total of 2 biminis per stated line size (thats one set), and must be supplied with an additional 2.5 mts of same unused line.
Loop length 100mm to 350mm long, with 600mm min of line above the bimini twist.
A total of 3 sets of bimini loops per member.

Info Req.
Please supply braid brand name, type and breaking strain, and number of twists in the loop.

Testing
These loops will be marked with a texter at the top of the bimini, and on each leg 20mm below the twist.
the loop put over a 3mm peg and pulled at 200mm/min to destruction.
I will be looking at slippage and the total break strength.

Results
The loops strength will be rated as a percentage of the of the lines tested bs, thats why i need the additional line, its got to be tested as well.
Name, Initials or a code name for posting results.

I think that there may be better joins, but unless i see a cross section of fishermen making then and testing, it would not be wise to say its a lousy way to make a join.

Paulus

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 13, 2011, 11:06:35 AM
I like the new streamlined look of your website Paulus :).

For anyone that wants a top reference for Braid, Mono and Leader knot and line testing, along with thickness etc, have a look at the Paulus website where a lot of passion has gone into his work .
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 13, 2011, 12:46:09 PM
Hey Paulus,

While i know your website, there may be people on this site that do not so perhaps an introduction and what the bimini's would be used for (a little more than gathering some data) might be beneficial.

Love your site mate. Its a top resource.

I would use a PR knot but if busted off i use a bimini twist for a quick connection to get back in the fight.

I also like the plat double but its a dying art.

Cheers,

Chris

Paulus Van Gaal

September 14, 2011, 08:53:23 PM
Hi Guys

This may be a little off to the side of the main objective, but it plays a roll in the info I am gathering.

I had a line system sent in from New Zealand, request was to get the lines and knots tested from the spool inner out to the leader, system was new and not used.

The system was, braid Shimano Powerpro 50lb white, with a bimini in the braid then an improved albright onto a mono topshot, this had a plaited double in it via an improved albright onto a heavy leader.

So we had braid, bimini, albright, mono, plaited double, albright, leader.

System tested.
Braid tested 64.17lb (av)
Braid bimini started to slip at 46.0lb and finally cut the mono at 51.12lb.
Mono topshot tested 55.22lb (av), plaited double in mono failed above plait at 54.18lb.
Mono plait double legs, to leader the albright tested to 73.86lb.

The weakness in the system was the bimini which failed at 46.0lb cutting the mono at 51.12.

As a system it has worked to some extent, as the mono topshot was only a 55.22lb. but a few more twists in the bimini would have helped it reach that number.

As far as the bimini goes it only went 71.7% of the braids 64.17lb (av) bs.

Total test time and taken was,,,, 3.75 hrs, includes logging this data.

I have been doing a lot of work at my site so things may be moving about a bit
paulus.

Thank you
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com
Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:00:21 PM by Paulus Van Gaal

Sam Loh

September 15, 2011, 01:49:31 AM
Hi Paulus,

I am interested in this study but I make my loop length as short as possible to minimize the potential of it catching rod guide. Do you take 50mm-80mm?

Thanks
Sam

Paulus Van Gaal

September 15, 2011, 07:32:04 AM

Hi

Sure the loop can be as short as you like just add a little to the other end.

Paulus

Paulus Van Gaal

September 17, 2011, 08:12:40 AM

Hi Guys

I have had to extend the ending time, as I have a few coming in from overseas so at this stage i do not have an end date.
Paulus