marinco koj

Fishing Phuket
September 12, 2011, 09:42:27 AM
Hi guys

Just wanted to know if there is any quality fishing in Phuket Thailand, I'm off in 2 weeks and not sure what gear to take.

I usually travel with a 4000 size reel and 7' travel rod just in case but do i need more, are there any good charter operators ?

mk

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fishing Phuket
September 12, 2011, 08:37:41 PM
Hi marinco

Fished Phuket once, was not familiar with the charters there. But went out with one of the local old wooden boat a few years back ( was desperate for a fish at the time). I am sure there's a few better one's just got to look around.
With gears I can suggest what you got is fine if you after a bit of fun. They do a lot of trolling for sailfish. If you like fishing with stick bait, you do get good chance of sailfish coming close to the boat. We land one around 30-40kg. If I fish there again I will bring a 7foot rod, pe3, 4000h saltiga for stick bait. A light jiggin rod for 60-150gm jigs. We didn't do much jigging but I am there would be a few reef fish around.
Hope these help

marinco koj

September 12, 2011, 10:01:38 PM
Thanks for that Ricky

mk

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 13, 2011, 12:50:52 PM
Ricky had a better experience than I did by the sound of it.

The boat I went on got loads of small (talking 1.5kg) tuna, and nothing else.

Might have been fun on a bream rod, but certainly was not on the broomstick they provided me with!

Was a fair few years ago, so unfortunately cant remember the name of the operator. Beware of charters advertising with photos of mighty fish that look to have been taken in the 80s, because they probably were.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2011, 01:47:17 AM
Photos from the 80's  ;D  there everywhere hei!
Come to think of it I do see pictures of some charter operators with nice looking boat. One was operated by an Aussie. Should look it up.
Ricky

marinco koj

September 14, 2011, 08:35:52 AM
It seems to be a non event for fishing then. Maybe the smaller travel set ups the go.

mk

tim watson

September 17, 2011, 04:08:34 AM
i fished phuket a couple of years back.....the thais will tell you all sorts but very little materialize as they over fish and even dynamite places. you are better having a crack at the freshwater fish. the arapima and red tailed catfish are awesome fighters for freshwater and i have had em to about 90kgs and they get to be double that. there are loads of places that stock these fish - i give you that they are not wild but its still excellant fun and there is a skill in getting these predators to feed - live baiting & fresh deadbaits were the go. Word to the wise though is to use circle hooks for the arapima and hang on when a 200-300lb fish jumps jumps and jumps again its better than tarpon fishing in the keys. give it a go and you wont regret it. To wet your appetite have a look at gillhams fishery krabi thailand, which is the operation i visited last time i was in thailand a tear or so ago -there are now places around phuket - if you can get to krabi do it! you can fish the zoo in phuket - weirdest place i have ever fished, catching catfish and pacu. good luck! p.s was using 30lb test line and tarpon rods for the red tails and arapaima, excellant fun