Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Shimano Spheros
April 22, 2007, 04:14:44 PM
best time is in winter at the coromandel im doing a comp there in june and 90,000 first prize for kings over 42kg its called The kings of the coromandel.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 27, 2007, 02:30:33 PM
well, I hope there is. It is about time that one of the big manufacturers released a reel that can handle big fish with wound up drags that doesn't cost > $1000. I know quite a number of fishos who would love to get into this type of fishing but the pricing of the equipment is prohibitive. I've had friends who were open-mouthed shocked when I told them their Saltiga GT86 or TN80 weren't much more than an entry level rod into this type of fishing. They had assumed they were the best money could buy!
In my opinion the most common mistake I see people making when they purchase gear is to have an expectation that the gear will land the fish. This leads to beginners wanting Stellas and the like. I think it is better to cut your teeth on good mid priced gear such as the GH Calstars and Sphero etc.
Get knowledge and the ability to tie proper knots and appropriate terminal tackle. These will cost you a lot more fish than the difference between a Stella and a Spheros.
Get fit and strong so you can handle a big fish when it climbs on that popper. I weigh 91 kg at a height of 180cm and a few years in the gym allow me to handle drag settings that a few of my lighter fishing buddies cannot handle. (we have to hold on to them when they are hooked so they do not get dragged overboard)
My friend is the same height as me but weighs 118kg and moves an absolute ton of weight in the gym. I have used his Dogfight and the drag settings that he handles are incredible. Without the strength and mass he would not be able to cast for hours and battle with such heavy drags.
Get distance and line right with hours of casting each week and learn tide and moon phases that are productive.
Then when you do get your top shelf stuff you will appreciate it a lot more. I have done it this way and I do not have any regrets even though I lost a few fish using my 9500ss and Ugly Stik Custom spinning rods.
But then again... that's just my philosophy.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2007, 05:55:33 PM
Sachin - have you ever measured what drag your friend can handle? We were having a debate as to how much drag Arnie could fish a little while back!!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 30, 2007, 04:16:29 PM
Brandon, good question. We measure straight pull method and I use 12 - 14kg and occasionally have to wind this up just a tick to try and stop a fish.
My friend was using 16 to 18kg and has no hesitation in winding up the wick since he has the strength to hang on to it.
We fish very shallow water most of the time and by this I mean between 1 to 3 metres of water an hour before and after the full tide inside the reefs.
This means the drags have to be put through a bit of pressure and the angler and the person at the wheel of the boat must be on the ball.
On occasion we have backed up to 50 or 60lb fish as they tried to make their way over the breakers and cut us off on the drop off to deeper water in the open sea.
We also hold the rod up as high as we can when a big fish hits to get a more direct line on the fish so the line may actually go over lumps of coral rather than across them and sever.
I think this also keeps the head of the fish pointed upwards somewhat (certainly makes it harder to get its head down and charge away)
These things have been caught on to over a few years of popper fishing and help immensely in not losing so many fish.

MikeOsborn

May 02, 2007, 07:55:57 AM
best time is in winter at the coromandel im doing a comp there in june and 90,000 first prize for kings over 42kg its called The kings of the coromandel.

I would be targetting snapper for that comp if I were you. Chances of seeing/hooking/landing a 100lb king in a comp are slim. then you would have to kill the poor beast

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 02, 2007, 02:08:20 PM
True will go 4 snapper as well but 90 grand would you let it go?
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER