Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saltiga 30 or Ryoga
September 30, 2011, 09:53:11 PM
Hi guys. I'm seriously downsizing a rig that my wife uses. The Saltiga 30T she used on her Jigwrex 5103 (PE3 max) was way too big so I'm going smaller. We fish less than 70 m max and most of the time less than 45 metres. Targets for this outfit are bottom fish less than 15 kilos, most less than 10. This is why I'm leaning towards the Ryoga bay jigging 2012 as it looks like a sweet reel.
Is it worth the extra dollars to get the Ryoga? Anyone had any experience with the Saltiga 30 and the Ryoga?

Thanks, Mark.

Mark Whitaker

Re: Saltiga 30 or Ryoga
November 26, 2011, 11:54:03 AM
Mark,

I have 2 Z20, 1 Z30 and a Z40,  the 30L is the same size as a Z40 and its a big reel.  Unfortunately the Z20 and Ryoga is not available in Australia,  But they are available from PLAT in Japan.

The Z20 is 440g and the Ryoga Bay Jigging 200 series is 345g.

Personally. I use the Z20 with Hi-Seas Grand Slam red 30lb Braid (Paulus tested at 49lb) for 90% of jigging and bottom fishing.  They have been upgraded with Carbontex Drags and are  smooth as. 

The Z30 is the same reel but slighly wider in the spool.

I have had these reels for 8 years and never had a problem.  The standard drag will last a few years but the Carbontex is well worth the upgrade.

Mark

Anesh Patel

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 10:11:23 AM

I have a  Ryoga Bay Jigger and run PE 1.5, The max PE line I would run on my Ryoga is PE 2
I would suggest buying a Saltiga SA15 if you can get hold of one and run PE 3 which is basically a Z20 without the auto engage and sealed gearbox.

Fishhead stock the Diawa Pluton which is for the Australian market , it's a Ryoga bay Jigger with cast control and without the jigging arm . However you can purchase the jigging arm seperately

Dave Creffield

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 08:29:45 PM
Hi Mark,

I have a Ryoga and honestly can't fault it. I run PE3 on it and jig up to 320gm jigs. It's light, smooth and the drag is great. I use it for anything from chasing Reddies out wide on plastics to jigging up Spanish and GT's. If you do get the urge you can still cast with it.

You won't be disappointed if you get one. 

Dave.

C'mon... Just one more cast!!!

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 09:43:29 PM
Thanks guys. I ended up getting the Ryoga Bay jigging 2012. It will be interesting to see if I can get some of the fish you got Dave!! Actually it's for the wife so she'll have to catch them. Knowing her luck she probably will!
Will keep you posted.