kurt Staples

Rod blank for casting garfish
October 03, 2011, 08:36:46 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a blank suitable for casting rigged dead garfish at kingfish locally. I will be casting with an avet hx overhead and 24kg tortue. This will hopefully help me land fish at the shallow Sydney rock platforms I fish. So basically I will need a stickbaiting blank around 8 foot 6. 8 foot 2 is the shortest blank I would consider.
I have been looking at the OTI tuna sniper blanks? I am having trouble getting replies to emails from suppliers.
I'm after any other recommendations.

Thanks,
Kurt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rod blank for casting garfish
October 04, 2011, 09:14:42 AM
I stopped spinning gars with an overhead a while ago. I used to use a 5120, (heavy) with a torium 30. It worked but wasn't always easy. Then used a saltist 30H and 10ft o/h tiralejo. That works better if I spin gars with it as the rod has more tip action. I use threadline gear now.

How long are you planning to build the rod up to ? Def need something that has a softer tip to allow you to flick them out.  Maybe Duncan or Janlle can help, or if Sydney based there are other stores that stock some blanks.

kurt Staples

Re: Rod blank for casting garfish
October 05, 2011, 08:08:59 PM
I'm planning on setting something up at about 8 foot 6 in length.
The Avet I'm casting with has mag control. I have been playing around with it and casting unweighted gars on a OTI blank that's 8 foot 6. We have been getting the same distance casting Avet with 24kg tortue as the Stella/10ft tiraleo 50lb tuffline setup without even a hint of an overrun. The Avet is so controllable.
Originally I was looking at the new Hastings blank to come out. It's thee same as the 86xh but in two piece. This won't be available till early next year.
A stickbaiting style rod should give me the tippiness I need.
Thanks for your reply Andrew.